Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Audi A6 wont start but MMI, lights, seat memory etc works fineFacebook Twitter

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 02:01 AM
1st Gear
Default 2005 Audi A6 wont start but MMI, lights, seat memory etc works fineFacebook Twitter

hi im new here
my problem starting my 2005 Audi A6. I'm putting a key to the ignition but nothing is happening, no engine check, no usual activity. Otherwise, everything works fine, MMI system, lights, seats memory

Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Default A6 start problems

Having the same problem. Wheels locked and couldn't tow. I would be interested in hearing from someone that has an opinion. A mechanic tells me it is the start control module that needs to be replaed and reprogramed by Audi only.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 PM
3rd Gear

What do you mean by "wheels locked"? The wheels should lock in "Park"...

As far as the car not starting, there's no cranking at all?
Possible issues in your cases could include:
- Faulty Ignition switch (-es go bad on these cars more than others).
- Bad Ignition Control Module
- Dead Starter

Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 AM
2nd Gear

Take a look in the ignition section of the TSB library that I set up. Here is the link
http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/

Old 02-11-2011, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

Hi,

I am new here and I have the exact same problem and of course the wheels are locked so I cannot tow it. Super frustrating.

Any updates?

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM
1st Gear

Same **** happened to me today. In order to disable the shift lock, you have to pull out the ash tray and remove a little black tab that's on the inside of the tray closest to the shifter. It definitely sounds like the 800.00 access/start control module located in the steering column. Only Audi can repair as they will have to reprogram keys as well.

Last edited by r1racer; 04-05-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:40 PM
1st Gear
Default I had the same problem

I had the exact same thing happenned to me on my 2005 Audi A6 recently. The dealer had to replace the steering column and charged me $1,700 to do it. The steering column itself was $1,250 and the rest was labor and taxes. On top of this, add the towing charges. No small change. There is no way
around this one, believe me, I tried. I have the repair manual for the 2005 A6 and in the manual, Audi spells it out very clearly that the steering column has no serviceable parts. I got the old part from the dealer, and the screws for the steering lock module are the one-way type (you can't unscrewed them, at least not without using a brute force approach). The one other solution is to try to get a steering column from a junk yard, but I wasn't sure if this was going to be more pain than gain. I don't have the software to re-program the keys.

What fails on these cars is the steering column lock module, which is an integral part of the steering column. When you insert the key, this module reads the electronic code in your key and if it is an authorized key, then it proceeds to unlock the steering column, and if the steering column unlocks, then it powers the rest of the system so you can proceed to start the car. If this module fails, when you insert the key, the steering column won't unlock and it won't power the rest of the system (only the accessories are powered, like the MMI).

To tow the car, you have to unlock the shifter to put the transmission in Neutral. Remove the ashstray cup (in front of the shifter), and remote a small plastic tab on the side facing the shifter. After you remove the tab, look inside and you will see a small metal tab that you can push with a screwdriver as you move the shifter into Neutral. It works. MAKE SURE THE CAR IS NOT GOING TO START ROLLING BEFORE PUTTING IT IN NEUTRAL.

Good luck with this and hopefully is something else and not the steering column lock module.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem and the Audi dealer has quoted me the following:

1. Power assist steering remove + replace at 4.5hrs @ $365.65
2. Wheel Alignment @ $33.80
3. Steering Column Lock Module @ $966.50
4. Ignition switch @ $372.32
Total @ $1981.76 after tax.

My question is why do they want to change both the module and switch. Do they really know if its the switch of the module. I cant believe both are faulty. Can someone help me make sense of this.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

i have this same problem with mi 2007 audi a6,mi big question is how about if you buy a used steering column with the ignition swich and the key from a junk yard audi who conect and start? how about that,you will have the steering column,the ignition swich and the key from the other car.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

i think will work,we have to find the way not to get rip off from the dealer,this is just sick $ 2000 to replace a steering column,that is just sick.

Quick Reply: 2005 Audi A6 wont start but MMI, lights, seat memory etc works fineFacebook Twitter