convertible top control unit location

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 04:48 PM
1st Gear
Default convertible top control unit location

Hello group, I hope someone here can help . I have a 97 AUDI CABRIOLET and am looking for the Convertible top control unit location. I have searched all kinds of forums and have had no luck. After troubleshooting research has me thinking I might have cold solder joints on this module the search was on. Who knew this was such an elusive module. If you know please be as specific as possible as I am done with comments such as " just send a 6 year old in with a screwdriver . he'll find it" thanks in advance for your time

Old 06-08-2014, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Cold solder joints are probably a stretch. It would be helpful if you would include your symptoms. Typically, convertible failures are wiring issues at the trunk flex point. The wires run through this area. Notable is trunk open/lock intelligence failing to get to the Convertible Top Control Module and that shuts down the operation. Pump failures are rare, as are leaks. This is a drastically over engineered system, rife with feedback signals that all must occur for operation. I've attached the CTCM location diagram. Please do not disassemble the module. Unless you have a wiring diagram and plan on testing each wire from the connector to the various switches to confirm continuity, I'd let that go. However, that would be definitive if you chose to do it, and then you'd know for certain which wire has broken. There are other non-invasive measures. A VAG-COM can diagnose exactly which switch is out of position or not sending the proper intelligence to the CTCM. The VAG-COM will indicate which switch is out of position by a list of 1 or 0 for each step in the block value test. You need the Bentley's manual, or a copy of the test, to know the correct sequence. You would need to study this for awhile to understand it. I'm not 100% sure that I do. You need to start with The New Audi Cabriolet service training manual to understand the opening/closing sequence. Attached are two pages from that. PM me and I can email you more

Attached Thumbnails convertible top control unit location-ctcm-location.jpg   convertible top control unit location-pg-20.jpg   convertible top control unit location-pg-21.jpg  

Last edited by hubturn; 06-08-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

Thank you so much for this information, I was totally looking in the wrong places. I do agree that the wiring harness is a big problem with these cars and I intend to replace it with a new harness that I will fabricate myself. I do know that after hours of online research that cold solder joints on these modules are also a big problem. I have found many instances where people are fixing their issues by simply adding a little flux and a soldering iron to the problem. Not having access to a VAG.COM connector and armed with a multimeter, a soldering iron and a schematic I will push forward. Thanks again for the information, I am indebted to you.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

Having problems with mine also at the moment. think it is also the micro switch on the boot catch thats gone faulty, other than paying a packet to audi, anyone know where i can pick a new switch up and any part numbers for it? secondly, is there a new loom kit thats availible for this problem boot cables? or just repair the existing cables? many thanks

Old 06-11-2014, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Most split the loom and find the faulty wire - obviously broken or sometime broken without breaking the insulation. If you believe the microswitch on the trunk (boot for you Cardiff types) is faulty, don't be too sure. The Trunk Lid Locking motor gets a signal to lock, and apparently also sends a signal back that it locked. This appears to be independent of the Trunk Lid Closed Position Switch (the microswitch). The problem can be in the interconnection of the central locking system to the convertible top system. That's why the locking system and the window system both have to be functioning or the sequence can stop for what looks like no valid reason. This is also why some people can key lock the trunk and then the system will work. The wire signalling the trunk lock to 'lock' is broken but the wire signalling that the trunk has 'locked' is fine.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

HI, thanks! great info like fine wine-gets better with age
imperfect analogy-but you are brilliant-know more than 3 dealers service department...
2001 Audi TT Roadster.
just got hit by uninsured motorist-had lumbar fusion-cannot work on car
Precision Auto in Morgan Hill awesome-doing work for flat fee
Please, Please send all info and drawings: your fix is correct have to Options

Old 09-07-2014, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

So please send me all info or drawings re after running the vag-com or before-newbie do not even know where "trunk flex point" is; but I know that the pump is fine.the trunk open and conv. top controls are in center console
other than the controller module-if wiring is problem then that does not requireSo please send me all info or drawings re after running the vag-com or before-newbie do not even know where "trunk flex point" is; but I know control unit module. can you get these parts online from Biltstein? all info as to steps that the pump is fine.the trunk open and conv. top controls are in center console any
what other parts might be needed other than the controlmodule
thanks you may reply here or at l.steven.goldblatt@gmail.com

Old 02-23-2016, 06:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Hydraulic pump location 2001 Quattro roadster

can anybody tell me how to access convertible top hydraulic pump. Dealer said needed to remove top to repair - $2400

Old 07-10-2023, 12:44 PM
1st Gear
Default No power to convertible. 2005 Audi A4 1.8

Have no power, light goes on on tbe dask when trying to operate, but no sound, ....or movement. Replaced the complete hydraulic motor and relays....that was fun.....but still nothing. Is it possible the control module would cause this ' dead in the water' type of incident? One day it when up 1/4 of the way, which let me to believe the hraulic, but then, next day nuttin. Replaced it anyway, just in case. Ugggg