Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Allroad balky ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 10:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Allroad balky ignition

I am having a problem with the ignition on my 2004 Allroad. It works most of the year fine except for winter when it gets cold. All lights come on but nothing else happens. I have a found a routine to get started. For 2 minutes I try to turn the ignition every 15 seconds (total 8 times). I then wait for several minutes and, voila, it starts. My theory is that there is a slight break somewhere in the line or ignition that "shrinks" in the cold and prevents the circuit from completing but by trying a number of times the wire/connection heats up enough to expand and complete the circuit. I don't know if this is in the ignition switch itself or somewhere else in the line. I don't feel like replacing the ignition only to find the problem lies elsewhere, or spend a ton of money with a repair shop hunting for the cause when it is just the ignition. Anyone else have a similar problem, and if so, how was it fixed?

Old 01-25-2016, 01:10 PM
1st Gear

Meant to add that I only do this first time in the morning after the car has been sitting all night. After that it starts up during the day with no problem

Old 02-02-2016, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, is this a 2.7 or 4.2 engine?

I'm thinking starter wire gone bad?

I'll look at ebahn.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

It's a 2004 4.2l

As an update I have been able to get it started with a slightly different routine. I turn the ignition on, push the key straight in for a second and then pull on it (as though I were removing it which I can't actually do because it's in the "on" position) and after 2-3 seconds it has started so that seems to point to something in the i
ignition switch, no?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like the ignition switch to me too.

Ebahn indicates that it should be possible for you to change it yourself if you have a valet(without transmitter/remote) key.

There are alot of steps, and I can't copy them for you here,it might be worth getting the software yourself.

You may want to have a dealer change the ignition switch for you, or at least price it out at the dealer.

It could be worth the investment in the software to do it yourself.

The "ignition/starter switch" is online for only $9 to $55.

Good luck and keep me updated on this, please.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:27 PM
1st Gear

Send me a PM and I might be able to tell you more.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

This looks very much like the description/instructions I have seen;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H64rYQYMAc#t=12

Here's a pretty good write-up too;
https://www.audiforums.com/forum/aud...tch-diy-84504/

Old 09-27-2016, 05:47 PM
1st Gear

Since the ignition has been working without a hitch until recently I had not checked this but wanted to thank DOC ODDY for your posts. Over the last two weeks (in warm weather and after the car had been running and turned off for a short stop) it suddenly decided to act up again a couple of times. Looked at videos and write-up and think for my purpose I'll just have my mechanic replace the switch but thanks for your suggestions