Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Allroad Suspension Issue after Tow

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Allroad Suspension Issue after Tow

Good Afternoon,

I am looking for any advice that those with more expertise and experience than myself might bring to the following problem. I recently had to have my 2002 Allroad towed from about an hour away to the garage I use when one of the front axles broke. The tow truck was a old flatbed, and the car was secured mainly by hooks. I was, quite likely, an idiot, and didn't realize I should have put the car in jack mode for the tow. When the car went onto the truck the air suspension was on level two, when it was dropped off a the garage the car was resting on the wheels (i.e. lower than level 1). When I turned the car on after it was off-loaded it didn't seem to want to raise itself back to level two, so I set it to level three and it started raising. However, it stopped at approximately the height of level two (eyeballed). I left it like that, and the axle has since been fixed, but the folks at the shop didn't notice the suspension issue and I hadn't mentioned it. Anyway, I drove the car home on the highway, and when I hit 50+ it lowered to level 2 from 3, but the height felt like level 1. So I got it home and tried to lower it from 3 to 1, but it wouldn't go lower than 2, at which point it was resting on the wheels again. Having very little knowledge of how the air suspension system works, is it possible that it is no longer calibrated correctly and is off by a level? I have tried putting it into jack mode, turning the car off, and turning it on again (what the mechanic suggested I try first). I have an appointment in a couple of weeks to take it back to the shop, but I didn't know if anyone on here might have anything else I could try at home first? Or a similar experience that might shed light on the issue? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks for taking the time to read through this.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

I had similar trouble after a service, the car was on the bumpstops.

I guess you should check for system leaks.

If none, then you may try recalibrating the suspension system.
It is easy if you have the software.

Here is a link to the instructions.
If you have a VAG-COM or someone near has it, it only takes several minutes to calibrate;

Old 02-10-2016, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the response, and for the info! Unfortunately I don't have a VAG-COM, but the shop does. Hopefully it will be a simple re-calibration and not something more.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

I'd like to hear the outcome, keep me posted please.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

Will do. Goes in Tuesday.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

Were you successful at getting the suspension working?

Old 02-27-2016, 06:16 AM
1st Gear

Sorry, for the late response. Yeah, they figured out that I had one broken leveling sensor in the front and two mangled ones in the back from the tow. Once they replaced the broken one, and straightened out the rear ones all was good. Thanks again for the advice and assistance!

Old 04-08-2016, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wporta
Sorry, for the late response. Yeah, they figured out that I had one broken leveling sensor in the front and two mangled ones in the back from the tow. Once they replaced the broken one, and straightened out the rear ones all was good. Thanks again for the advice and assistance!
Hi

Do you have any partnumber for the leveling sensors?