Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Audi allroad air ride suspension elimination kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Default Audi allroad air ride suspension elimination kit

my 03 allroad 2.7 is killing me!!!! i have already replace valve cover gasket,turbos are slowly leaking and couple of months ago i replace d/s air strut.can't wait what is coming next.
i have seen a kit on ebay that eliminates air suspension with spring shocks.can anyone tell me if this is a good idea?they cost about 1k.i just hate to think that after replacing one another will go and then another...

Old 03-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Default air ride

I hear ya, i just had one of my air bags go out on me. I replaced it with the Arontt airbag which is guaranteed for life. They are less $$ than the audi replacement ones and audis don't have the guarantee too. So atleat if you go this route you wont have to pay for another air bag..... they're not to hard to install yourself too.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:17 PM

I think you mean Arnott. I've heard very good things about them, and they cost much less than OEM. If you go the route of eliminating the air suspension, it will work. But, you should do them all at one time. If you get new Arnott air bags, you can replace them one at a time as needed. Arnott also makes a replacement compressor.

www.arnottindustries.com

Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 PM

i did bought one from Arnott and they also make those spring shocks so it should be a solid product.anyway my idea is to go with them and put all that air suspension on ebay.i think i could get some money back.
i just can't understand how Audi put this car on market year after year knowing that is not gone last and now they making a lot of money charging people for repairs.my car has only 55k miles so how can so many things go wrong?not to mention that crappy interior where around doors,radio etc everything comes off like a skin of a tomato.
my other car is 98 mercedes s500 and i only wish every car was build like this one.for many years never let me down and still looks and drives like new with 96k miles.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by audiallroad2002
I hear ya, i just had one of my air bags go out on me. I replaced it with the Arontt airbag which is guaranteed for life. They are less $$ than the audi replacement ones and audis don't have the guarantee too. So atleat if you go this route you wont have to pay for another air bag..... they're not to hard to install yourself too.
Hey audiallroad2002,
Looks like I'll be investing in a couple of the Arnott airbags myself, and I was intrigued by your statement. Could you elaborate a little on what "not to hard" means? I'd really appreciate any tips/advise you can offer on the installation.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 PM

are you doing front or rear?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Default air bags FRONT

The new bag come with easy instructions, I found out that once you jack your car up (put it in jack mode) take off your tire, then all i really had to do was remove the 6 screws on the top of the air bag that holds the shock, and the bag was pretty much out. I remember there was one bolt that was a little tricky to get out but i didn't have to do anything with the ball joints or nothing. Also remember the placement of how the bad bag is in there. You have to put the new bag in the same way cause of that air fitting. Just make a scatch somewhere that will help you line it up later. I think there's a really good write up on this forum too. try looking in the do-it-yourself area.
Make sure you have the right tools (the star or allen(sp?) tool). Took me about 2 hours. I know that when i go to do it again i'll probably cut that time in half.
Are both front air bags bad? i only had one that was bad (even though i took it to an audi dealership and they told me that three were bad). Remember that your car self levels so if one bag is bad it might look like others are bad too. Soap test or just listen. So my car rides perfect even though i have one front Arrnot and one front Audi bag.
One other note.. once i got my new bag on, when i went to turn on my car and get some air in it, the bag was leaking by a little bit. All i did was put the floor jack under my car next to the new airbag and lifted it just a bit to take off some of the wieght. Once i did that the air bag filled and then i lowered the car down and it seated itself.

Let me know if you have any questions, i'm not the greatest and trying to explain things in writting. But like i said this forum has a good write up and also look-up you tube, or google this topic and read about it and look at pics untill you get comfortable and then have fun with it. Good luck

Old 03-25-2009, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info! My suspension was acting wacky all around. Dropped the front left, then the front right, then the front right raised a bit, then all four dropped, and finally nothing happened at all. My first thought was that leaky front airbags had taken a toll on the entire system (compressor and all), but after talking to a friend of mine about how the system is set up, I was thinking more that the problem was with the valve box that distributes the air to all four wheels. I got under there with a screwdriver and just tapped on the box a few times- seems to have solved the problem, at least in the short term. I'm guessing there's some "gunk" in that box sticking things up a bit. For now, all shocks are holding air, and the leveling is functioning properly.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like you guys know a lot about these. I installed the new Arnotts and they are leaking overnight. I don't hear leaks or see them when I spray water on but when I come out in the morning the front is dropped down to level 1. What could the problem be?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM

Hi guys, we have an '03 Allroad, 82,000 miles, that needs both front air struts replaced and maybe the compressor, according to dealer. Estimate for air struts is between $1,500 and $2,000. I am not sure the car is worth the investment. Plus, they tell me that both side upper control arm bushings are worn and need replacement. With regard to the struts, what are the alturnatives? Or is it better to sell the car since it seems that it's turning into a money pit. And if selling, where is the best place to do that? I'm in Connecticut. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Audi allroad air ride suspension elimination kit