Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

brake lights stay on when car is off

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Default brake lights stay on when car is off

Last night before going to bed I noticed that the brake lights/rear tail lights were on even though the car was turned off. I've been noticing that for the past couple days the abs light and height control lights were showing in my dash board but I don't see where that would have anything to do with the rear tail lights staying on. I pulled the fuse out #13 and the lights went off. I haven't done anything this morning in regard to seeing if they will stay off. Anyone heard of this problem before?

Old 07-19-2007, 09:13 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: brake lights stay on when car is off

Now that is strange. Even if it was your rear fogs, they should go off when the car is off. Still under warrenty?

Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 AM

Nope not under warranty. Is there a separate switch for the rear fogs and would they be in the same taillight assembly as the brake lights/tail lights? I haven't been out this morning yet so I'm not familiar with the rear fogs..

Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

This literally just happend to my car last week and it killed my battery. The lights were off when I went in for the evening (the rear of the car faces my front door, so I had a clear view), but came on at some point during the night. Came out the next morning and the suspension had dropped as a result of the drained battery.
It was a faulty brake light switch. I live very near my dealer, so I stopped by and they replaced it for me in about 15 minutes.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:48 PM
3rd Gear

Yep you gotta bad brake light switch. It would also cause faults in the abs and height control.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 PM

I have this same thing happening on my 2005 A4. Did you get this issue resolved? Is this something the dealer has to repair? If you could let me know, I would greatly appreciate it.
Jeff Long

Old 07-05-2009, 12:01 PM

wow this just happened to my car! such a simple fix but when i called the dealer they wanted $4.97 for the brake light switch and $90 to install it. If you have somewhat confidence in your car knowledge, I would just install it yourself.

2004 A4 1.8T quattro

Old 07-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Default Same problem

I have had the same problem for 9 months or so.

The problem seemed to surface after reprogramming the HomeLink system to a garage door opener. Could just be convenient that it is when it started to happen. Have just assumed it was some glitch in HomeLink.

Going to try a Brake Switch and see it that fixes the problem. Will post results.

Thanks.

2004 S4 Cabriolet

Old 06-25-2010, 08:19 AM
1st Gear
Default Brake Light Staying on

I had the same problem. I had taken my audi A6 in and had the control arm ball joint replaced on the drivers side and the the axel on the pass side. when they were done with that they told me my brake lights wouldn't shut off.
so they told me to get a new switch witch I did but didnt fix the problem. so i took the switches apart and found that the contacts were not working so i adjusted them put everything back together then it worked.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Brake lights

I found the reason my tail light were staying on. I had brought it to a shop and they had now clue, so he recamended another shop so I thought to my self why pay someone to find the problem and just do it myself... so I did. started with the brake light switch right behind the pedel. I bought a used one off of ebay installed it and nothing so I took the two switches apart and found why they wern't working. there is a little peg the moves two contacts togeather, So I bought a brand new one installed it and nothing went to take it out and it clicked into place then it worked just fine. Never had a problem sence then. so buy new and make sure you install it right then check it again.

Last edited by jumpinjeremy; 10-04-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: brake lights stay on when car is off