Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Common problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Site Moderator
Default Common problems

Im taking the time to compile a list of common issues with the allroad since no one else has.

1. Air suspension: this system can raise hell on the allroad let me tell you guys.
The most common complaint is after parking the car over night the next morning the car is dipped on one side or the entire front is almost all the way down while the back is still up.
Getting back in the car and starting it will raise the vehicle back to its normal height, this is a result of a leaking air bag, or two leaking air bags. What you need to do is lift the car as high as possible and make yourself a spray bottle with soapy water in it. Spray the solution onto the air bag and look for bubbles. If you spot bubbles you need to get it repaired. Now audi makes a air bag replacement kit for each corner of the car so its easilly fixable. The labor to change them is not so cheap. If you want instructions on how to replace the bags just PM me.
In the case that you let the leaking air bags go on for a long time the compressor will eventually burn out from trying to keep the ride height steady.
Now if you experience a condition that won't raise or lower its most likely a sticking valve block under the rear of the car, its a valve that directs air flow.
EDIT: Another thing that has come to my attention is that the rear air bags almost never leak, i have never replaced one. If you notice that the rear of your allroad is dipping, then spray soapy water on the valve block and lines under the back of the car. Thats most likely the culprit.

2. Level sensor: Lifting and lowering the suspension sometimes stretches the wire to the level sensor mounted on front lower control arm, if its streched too far it will either break the wire or pop the sensor off the control arm. This will of course cause a fault code and disable the air suspension.

3. 2.7T owners: You unfortunately have the most maintenace hungry engine probably ever made... These engines love their oil and they leak it from all kinds of places. I will list the most common areas in order of how often they leak.
A) Valve covers
B) Cam adjuster seals
C) Turbo return lines o-rings (connection point at the upper oil pan under the car)
D) Rear cam plugs
E) and finally the turbos
Like any audi engine changing the timing belt and water pump at 80K is a must, you risk breaking the timing belt and bending valves if you don't. You should also change the thermostat and serpintine belt at the 80k mark.
CV boots will most likely be cracked and spilling grease on the inside of your front wheels around this time as well.
After the 120k mark you might notice a strange noise like a police siren or a dentists drill indicating that your turbos have just blown up on you. This repair will cost you close to 10 grand to fix. Sorry about that.

4. 4.2L owners: Congradulations you picked the correct engine

No common problems or leaks on this engine besides the valve cover gaskets and occasional cam adjuster seals.
You also need to change the water pump, thermostat, and the serpintine belt at the 80k mark. The allroad uses the chain driven 4.2L so timing belt service is not necessary. You should also check the outer CV boots as well.

Thats what you guys have to look out for, happy motoring!

Last edited by auditech79; 10-12-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79

No common problems or leaks on this engine besides the valve cover gaskets and occasional cam adjuster seals.
You also need to change the timing belt/water pump, thermostat, and the serpintine belt at the 80k mark. You should also check the outer CV boots as well.

No timing belt on the 4.2

Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Site Moderator

OOPS i think you're right! The allroad is rocking the chain driven 4.2L thanks for that i'll change it now.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

If Audi made the 4.2 in manual trans or even brought them to Canada I would have gotten one but
2.7 6 speed is what I have and luv'n it

Old 09-06-2008, 04:43 AM

After the 120k mark you might notice a strange noise like a police siren or a dentists drill indicating that your turbos have just blown up on you. This repair will cost you close to 10 grand to fix. Sorry about that.
just curious, how loud is this police siren/dentist drill noise going to be when it happens, will it be something that when it happens and they blow, it will be completely noticeable? this is my first turbo vehicle so i haven't dealt with them before.

Last edited by auditech79; 09-06-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by white fish
If Audi made the 4.2 in manual trans or even brought them to Canada I would have gotten one but
2.7 6 speed is what I have and luv'n it
That would've been nice but I also drive to much for a stick.I grew tired of constant clutching.I always use tip.It's hard to beat the exhaust note of a V8

Old 09-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by mctavish11
just curious, how loud is this police siren/dentist drill noise going to be when it happens, will it be something that when it happens and they blow, it will be completely noticeable? this is my first turbo vehicle so i haven't dealt with them before.
Loud enough to hear them inside the car with the windows rolled up. If you're not currently running full synthetic motor oil i would go ahead and make the switch to lengthen the life of your turbos.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:33 PM

Loud enough to hear them inside the car with the windows rolled up. If you're not currently running full synthetic motor oil i would go ahead and make the switch to lengthen the life of your turbos.
awww thanks for the reminder, ive been meaning to ask someone some questions. So here goes. the manual says to run 0w30 as the primary oil, with 5w30 and 5w40 as secondary if 0w30 is not available. so the first time i changed the oil in the car (4-ish months ago) i went to auto zone and got Castrol full synthetic 0w30 european blend. not too long before 3000 miles was up and i was going to change the oil again, i was on the freeway and my oil min warning came on the consol display, so i pulled over, checked the dipstick and it was dry, dipped it again, dry, stuff was probably so thin i jsut burnt thru it? luckily i had some with me in the car so i was able to add to it and cont. on till i found the nearest store. I havent seen any leaks from under the vehicle at all, i think the oil was just to thin. plus, where i live it never really gets cold enough to require something thinner. i ran 10w30 in my jeep all the time year round and it never had any trouble even when i went up in the mountains, now i know that is a completely different engine, but just the fact that its never that cold.

A few days later i got to thinkin about it, and how thin 0w30 really is, so i called the dealership closest to me (2 hrs away) and asked them for recommendations. they told me that it would be safe just to use castrol syntec 5w30, as that is what they put in all their vehicles. So whats what i did (that is what is currently in the car now) Now my questions lie here. Is castrol syntec, or mobil one 5w30 or any of those oils ok to be running in the car as they are not ACEA A2/A3. I briefly remember reading on the mobil one website that their 5w30 is API Service SJ certified. although it only shows SM on the bottle itself.

I have read this article: (but would like your opinion, that is if you have read it or have the time to read it)
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng14.shtml

and looked over this list:
http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/....0023.File.pdf

I noticed that mobil one 5w40 is approved but 5w30 is not.
then there is also Valvoline synpower 5w30
I am looking at the mobil one, castrol syntec and valvloine stuff as they are the easiest for me to find, but what is your opinion on this.

thanks for the time btw. much appreciated.

Last edited by mctavish11; 09-06-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

Im taking the time to compile a list of common issues with the allroad since no one else has.

1. Air suspension: this system can raise hell on the allroad let me tell you guys.
The most common complaint is after parking the car over night the next morning the car is dipped on one side or the entire front is almost all the way down while the back is still up.
Getting back in the car and starting it will raise the vehicle back to its normal height, this is a result of a leaking air bag, or two leaking air bags. What you need to do is lift the car as high as possible and make yourself a spray bottle with soapy water in it. Spray the solution onto the air bag and look for bubbles. If you spot bubbles you need to get it repaired. Now audi makes a air bag replacement kit for each corner of the car so its easilly fixable. The labor to change them is not so cheap. If you want instructions on how to replace the bags just PM me.
In the case that you let the leaking air bags go on for a long time the compressor will eventually burn out from trying to keep the ride height steady.
Now if you experience a condition that won't raise or lower its most likely a sticking valve block under the rear of the car, its a valve that directs air flow.

2. Level sensor: Lifting and lowering the suspension sometimes stretches the wire to the level sensor mounted on front lower control arm, if its streched too far it will either break the wire or pop the sensor off the control arm. This will of course cause a fault code and disable the air suspension.

3. 2.7T owners: You unfortunately have the most maintenace hungry engine probably ever made... These engines love their oil and they leak it from all kinds of places. I will list the most common areas in order of how often they leak.
A) Valve covers
B) Cam adjuster seals
C) Turbo return lines o-rings (connection point at the upper oil pan under the car)
D) Rear cam plugs
E) and finally the turbos
Like any audi engine changing the timing belt and water pump at 80K is a must, you risk breaking the timing belt and bending valves if you don't. You should also change the thermostat and serpintine belt at the 80k mark.
CV boots will most likely be cracked and spilling grease on the inside of your front wheels around this time as well.

You also need to change the water pump, thermostat, and the serpintine belt at the 80k mark. The allroad uses the chain driven 4.2L so timing belt service is not necessary. You should also check the outer CV boots as well.

LOL, mine's at 114k, isn't leaking anything anywhere, and oh btw Audi's 8 can't hold a candle to Chevy's.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by gordon0412
and oh btw Audi's 8 can't hold a candle to Chevy's.
In witch way?

Quick Reply: Common problems