Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Common problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

Torque Converter is a serious issue too. It will cost around $2600 to fix. If you don't fix it within two to three months of diagnosis the reverse on you transmission will go out meaning you will have to replace the entire tranny. .

Old 09-30-2012, 06:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Allroad 2.5 TDI 2001

Hello there . Has anyone any experience with the 2.5 TDI engine, and common problems with it. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Thumbs down Sticking Valve Block?

Following rear suspension light continuously on, Have been playing with the rear suspension, up and down. Appears to work, but left (facing forward) wheel lower then others, but seems to take some air anyway. Want to clean valve block and sensors. Where are these objects, and just spraying soapy water on outside can work?

Rob.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Air system

Originally Posted by roberthosking@me.com
Following rear suspension light continuously on, Have been playing with the rear suspension, up and down. Appears to work, but left (facing forward) wheel lower then others, but seems to take some air anyway. Want to clean valve block and sensors. Where are these objects, and just spraying soapy water on outside can work?

Rob.
Hi Rod
The air spring system control all the time Powered! even when the ignition is switched off. do not do any thing (Disconnect sensors. To lift the vehicle ... ) Until the vehicle is in "JACK MODE". The valves block and the compressor located under the car before the spare tire area. If you suspect thet ther is an air leak Will begin in the rear Air spring just spraying soapy water.
Amiram

Attached Thumbnails Common problems-compressor-dryer.jpg  
Old 04-16-2016, 03:34 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AllroadW
Hello there . Has anyone any experience with the 2.5 TDI engine, and common problems with it. Thanks in advance.
I have a 2004 2.5tdi all road and just spent £2600 on repairs, cam seals, rocker cover gasket, brake linkages, control arms, cv joints, tyres and brakes. But of a bad buy to be fair but it's all sorted now.

I'm noticing that there's not a lot of 2.5tdi owners here, is all 2.7t or 4.2 owners. Maybe not many 2.5tdi make there way across the pond to the US and as I'm in the uk seems a lot of 2.5tdi around and not so many of the others

Old 05-10-2017, 08:48 PM
1st Gear
Default 2005 2.7

Hi all I'm looking at possibly buying a 2005 all road 2.7tt. It's got 132k miles, the owner has replaced the air suspension with coil over. It's got new valve cover gaskets.

After reading this though I'm worried about the turbo. He's looking for $3100 for it but obviously is the turbo goes it's a new ball game. Is it worth bothering? Thanks for the help

Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 PM
1st Gear

2002 Allroad 2.7T
This is a real PITA automobile. I've replaced the air suspension compressor. I've replaced the ignition control module. The tire pressure sensors don't work and never have worked right. The engine leaks oil because there is a valve cover ramp between the Vs at the front of the engine. Gas mileage sucks because of friction in the drive train and the weight of the car. It eats tires like it's starving for rubber. Now it's motor mounts ($$$). I told my wife to sell it 14 years ago. I'm not putting any more of my money into it. Maybe when it's her money she'll sell it for a Subaru or a Kia.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear Air bags leaking

Originally Posted by auditech79
Im taking the time to compile a list of common issues with the allroad since no one else has.

1. Air suspension: this system can raise hell on the allroad let me tell you guys.
The most common complaint is after parking the car over night the next morning the car is dipped on one side or the entire front is almost all the way down while the back is still up.
Getting back in the car and starting it will raise the vehicle back to its normal height, this is a result of a leaking air bag, or two leaking air bags. What you need to do is lift the car as high as possible and make yourself a spray bottle with soapy water in it. Spray the solution onto the air bag and look for bubbles. If you spot bubbles you need to get it repaired. Now audi makes a air bag replacement kit for each corner of the car so its easilly fixable. The labor to change them is not so cheap. If you want instructions on how to replace the bags just PM me.
In the case that you let the leaking air bags go on for a long time the compressor will eventually burn out from trying to keep the ride height steady.
Now if you experience a condition that won't raise or lower its most likely a sticking valve block under the rear of the car, its a valve that directs air flow.
EDIT: Another thing that has come to my attention is that the rear air bags almost never leak, i have never replaced one. If you notice that the rear of your allroad is dipping, then spray soapy water on the valve block and lines under the back of the car. Thats most likely the culprit.

2. Level sensor: Lifting and lowering the suspension sometimes stretches the wire to the level sensor mounted on front lower control arm, if its streched too far it will either break the wire or pop the sensor off the control arm. This will of course cause a fault code and disable the air suspension.

3. 2.7T owners: You unfortunately have the most maintenace hungry engine probably ever made... These engines love their oil and they leak it from all kinds of places. I will list the most common areas in order of how often they leak.
A) Valve covers
B) Cam adjuster seals
C) Turbo return lines o-rings (connection point at the upper oil pan under the car)
D) Rear cam plugs
E) and finally the turbos
Like any audi engine changing the timing belt and water pump at 80K is a must, you risk breaking the timing belt and bending valves if you don't. You should also change the thermostat and serpintine belt at the 80k mark.
CV boots will most likely be cracked and spilling grease on the inside of your front wheels around this time as well.
After the 120k mark you might notice a strange noise like a police siren or a dentists drill indicating that your turbos have just blown up on you. This repair will cost you close to 10 grand to fix. Sorry about that.

4. 4.2L owners: Congradulations you picked the correct engine

No common problems or leaks on this engine besides the valve cover gaskets and occasional cam adjuster seals.
You also need to change the water pump, thermostat, and the serpintine belt at the 80k mark. The allroad uses the chain driven 4.2L so timing belt service is not necessary. You should also check the outer CV boots as well.

Thats what you guys have to look out for, happy motoring!
I went through the air suspension troubleshooting and both rear air springs are leaking. How much work is it to replace these? Anyone have a video of the job?

Thanks

Old 02-19-2021, 08:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Air suspension

I’m in need of some guidance with my air suspension. I own an 2009 A8 Quattro. My right control arm broke over the Summer. Had all replaced. I know have an air leak on front right. I have replaced both front airbags, compressor, and relay. My back end is now raising, but nothing with the front end. We are getting 00014 air leak. The next step I’m told is to check connections and replace the ride height sensor on the right. I got this part number from Audi 4E0941286G. Is this correct? Everything’s in German and I would so appreciate any help or guidance on how to proceed.