Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Considering '04 allroad and I have Pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by innov8
, it is hard to justify the combined purchase of $350 for the cable, $150-200 for a single-purpose Windows laptop and then he shop manual $100-150(?) on DVD (also needs to be on Windows!) = totals nearly 20% of the cost of the car.
Very good questions; how many trips to the Audi mechanics until the investment has paid for itself, and how much is the information worth to avoid unnecessary repairs? I made the same decisions years ago on a $3000 Audi 1990 V8 Quattro, glad I did.

TC

Old 09-02-2014, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

Well I have to agree with DOC ODDY, I much rather spend this now, then to give it to them. I also have an A6 in the stable. But not only that, but with this tool you can get to narrow things were before you would guess take it in and then they tell you, no its not that but if you let us scan for x amount we can tell you what it is. That trip alone the tool is justified. as for the lap top, man its very much worth it. If you can tackle on some things your self do so, it will only cost you time and parts.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

On a different note, I just rebuilt my compressor with the bagpipingandy rebuild kit and worked like a charm. How I went about it.

1.Watched both videos to determine if it was something I could do....yes I can
2.ordered the parts just under 50 dollars...
3.got my baby in the garage, put the suspension in service mode
4.took the cover/shield off the compressor
5.unhooked all electrical to compressor undid the airline from compressor to all other lines
6.figured I need glasses, bunch of dirt flying at you under there
7.disconnected the compressor from car via 3 nuts
8.cleaned the compressor on the outside well before opening it
9.undid the two screws as they show(please use WD-40 and let sit for a while)
10.cleaned off oring area very very well, do your best this is serious
11.replaced all parts in kit
12.put it back together
13.went to put it back in the car and this is harder than taking it off, so I used a extra jack stand to hold the compressor while i aligned it and got the nuts secured- trust me you want to do this
14.I also replaced every rubber hose(3) about 6 inches long each and put new clamps in as well.
15. once done with compressor, lifted the front to as close as possible match the height of the rear, 2 jacks, one on each side of the car in the front
16.took car off of service mode
17.turned it on and waited for the compressor to work, filling up the front
18.once that did it, i pressed level 2, once compressor stopped, i lowered it to the ground and the car leveled it self off and the dash light went off

hope this helps anyone else out there.
total time took me about 3 hours, i guess I could have got it done sooner but it was my first time so I was cautious

also for anyone out there check this link out and see the pricing near your area for just about any service if you took it in to Audi and tell me saving a few hundred to diagnose your car is not worth a VAG COM tool

Audi Allroad Repair Center: Free Estimates | U.S. News Best Cars

Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by innov8
No luck finding the VAG COM that runs on a MAC OS.....
How are things coming along with the "new" allroad?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:27 AM
1st Gear

Hey guys. not having made much progress... other things jump to the top of my to do list.

So far, I did the headlight restoration last weekend. Picking up parts for the oil change and valve cover gasket repair this week. Still debating the VAG-COM tool... got for the full feature option, purchasing the windows laptop, service manual and cord (too many links to add) or just getting the more basic reader for 10% of the cost...
Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Automotive Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Automotive
Torturebori makes a great point and the link to find localized costs for repairs is sobering!

I'll post photos of the headlight restore... it went great! ...and the rest of my projects as I get them finished. Thank you again!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:30 AM
1st Gear
Default VAG scanner and airbag codes

Hello guys, slow to get to these projects. The MAXSCAN VAG reader from Amazon arrived and I read and cleared all the codes. About 1 week later the airbag light came on again. Here are screen shots of the airbag code: N199 and then a shot of the ECU info screen for the airbag module.

I was not able to purchase a windows laptop to run the software manuals (macs in our home and business) so I am hoping that someone will be able to look this up for me.

Before purchasing I researched the airbag issue and I found many great threads on replacing the factory connectors under the seats and I am hoping that this is the fix for my car. I'll look for those threads again now but I wanted to post in my original thread and you have all been so helpful and supportive. I wanted to keep you updated on my progress with the car.

Of course, whatever I find on the airbags, I'll also post here so that there are rich threads through out the site. BTW, I'll be doing my first oil change to the all road this weekend as well.

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails Considering '04 allroad and I have Pre-purchase questions-audi_airbag-code.jpg   Considering '04 allroad and I have Pre-purchase questions-audi_airbag-ecu.jpg  
Old 10-28-2014, 05:30 PM
1st Gear

Apparently the resistance is either too high, too low, shorted to ground, etc. They all seem to have the same recommended fixes.

Side airbag igniter, driver's side -N199- resistance too high
Open circuit in wiring
Driver's side airbag unit faulty
Airbag Control Module -J234- faulty
Use wiring diagram to perform troubleshooting
=> Electrical Wiring Diagrams, Troubleshooting & Component Locations
Replace driver's side airbag
Replace Airbag Control Module -J234-

Maybe the wiring connectors is a good place to start.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

N199 refers to the part, igniter for side airbag on drivers side.
N200 is passanger's side.

Apparently the igniter N199 has a connection to the J234 control module located on the trans hump under the dash.

The N199 connector here has a green wire, a white wire, and a brown wire.

The J234 control module has several connectors, some of which go under seats. I suppose a bad connection in any of these could cause a problem, but we're way out of my league on this one.

Good luck.