Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Considering an Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 09:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Considering an Allroad

I've been out of Audi's since '97 and my wife is bugging me for an Allroad. I don't want to buy new, but the reliablility of the Audi's is a concern. I've recommended Audi's to four of my friends and two of them will never buy another.

Here's a few questions for the Audi Forum experts:
1) Should I buy a certified car?
2) What should I look out for?
3) Are there certain issues that should be addressed on a used Allroad?
4) The optional 17" wheels look like an absolute bitch to clean, what's the story on
them?
5) How are maintance costs once the warranty runs out?
6) I'd love to have a manual tranny, but should I stay away from that?

Anything else

Old 01-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Default RE: Considering an Allroad

get one

Old 01-26-2005, 02:56 AM

Hey-
I've got the same questions about a pre-owned Allroad!
Buy one doesn't really answer any questions!

What is the best year to buy?
I was leaning toward the 01

Old 01-31-2005, 07:40 PM

Had my V8 a week. It is just monstrous. Gave my wife the Z4, the Allroad is just as much fun, and nearly as fast!

Old 01-31-2005, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the feedback on the V8! I understand it sounds really good too[8D]

This is what I found out from a friend of mine who is an Audi Genius

1) Avoid cars built before 5/2001. Apparently, there were some issues with lubrication
and apparently it was corrected in older cars.
2) Consider a 4.2 as oppossed to a 2.7T. The depreciation is greater on the 4.2 and
they have a lot more standard equipment.
3) Get either a "certified used" car or consider a quality extended warranty, since these
care (especially the 2.7T's) can be costly to repair.

Hope that helps?

Old 02-15-2005, 07:55 PM

Since I just left another post here I thought I would reply to this one.

My 01 allroad is certified and I bought it with 36,000 miles. I have driven it almost 5,000 miles in two months. I go skiing into Wisconsin a lot and I live in the suburbs of Chicago.

So far I have been in the shop a lot. Problems include: blower motor sqeak, engine light, suspension module, vibration while driving. All issues were fixed easily, quickly, and without hassle. Without a warranty, I think I would run from this car, but the fixes haven't been major anyway, and I am very picky about noises, squeaks, issues etc.

Driving the car is great, you get handleing that is confident, but you feel a bit of the weight. Highway speeds: 80 plus are quiet, and easy. Seats, and steering wheel are great. Having a heated steering wheel is an amazing pleasure I never had before. Stereo sounds crisp at low levels, and has some punch unless you are a lunatic audiophile and need to shatter windows and bother people at the car wash. You have great space for gear, and winter conditions are no problem for the car. Off roading? I wouldn't dare with this car. I am sure it can handle some, but why?

Biggest problems...gas mileage due to poor gearing. The revs are far too high in top gear and anything over 60 mph is gas eating time. At 60 mph 21 to 23 mpg is possible, but at 75 mph, the mpg drops to about 18 or even lower if you are passing people. I even had a loaner 4.2 V8 engine and it was about the same in gas mileage. maybe a little worse than the 2.7t. The V8 sounds incredibly well when you hit it so it is real fun, but at normal driving it switches gears very fast so you may have to floor it to get the right gear for passing, or freeway entrance. If you can get one, get the V8, but the 2.7t is just fine for most purposes.

This car does a lot and is very practical, but with an edge of cool other cars don't have. Just get a warrenty to start with or you maybe very sorry.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:45 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info and congrats on your purchase. I appreciate your first-hand experience and suggestions.

I'm leaning towards the 4.2 and either a CPO car or an extended warranty. I'm not to surprised about the mileage since I just got back from MI and averaged 80 MPH with only 24 to 25 MPG with a '05 MINI "S". . . I'm pissed! I can get almost that with my '03 M3[:@]. My '01 Rav4 gets about 25 MPG running 75-80 MPH . . . go figure?

Old 03-09-2005, 03:06 AM
1st Gear

I have an 02 6-speed (highly recommend) that my wife has been driving for about one week now, we love it so far, but already need to hit the shop...I believe we have the suspension module vibration while driving syndrome (thanks for the heads up TPAR), and we need to get the second key (dealer supplied). But the car is clean with 20K on it, remainder of new car warrranty, and extended certified warranty, so not too woirried. Lots of nice options, and sophistication, but more stuff that can potentially break!

Drove a 02 6 speed certified with 50K on it, and although impressed with the condition, glad I got one with low miles on it.

Good luck with your search.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the comments. My wife of 46 years has owned one automatic transmission car and that was her first, so I'm in good shape. The manual would definetely be my first choice with the 2.7 motor to get the most out of it.

Your choice in Allroad sounds like I'm looking for. Good luck with your repairs and enjoy your "new" ride.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:27 AM
1st Gear

i just bough a allroad this past friday and i cant get enough of it. i went from lexus is300 and i must say this allroad handles like a champ. i bough it with 31k CPO. THE people at the dealer gave me a bunch of goodies like free car wash for two years free. free winter floor mats. and they added a bunch of warranties to my car. like wheels and tires warranties, and this clear coat thing that i dont have to wax my car for five years. so far i m very happy with the car. the only thing i dont like is the gas miles. oh well. ALLROAD QUATTRO 2.7T IS THE BEST **** OUT THERE. very happy with the choice.

Quick Reply: Considering an Allroad