Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Front suspension dropped to bumpers instantly while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Front suspension dropped to bumpers instantly while driving

Having suspension problems on 04

Both sides of front end were low. Started car, leveled out and then drove off. Both sides suddenly dropped to bumpers a few hundred yards from house.

Can't drive the car so called mechanic. Thought it was air compressor so replaced it. No dice. Both front air bags have already been replaced previously.

The check engine light came on day after this occurred and suspension light stays on.

Compressor turns on for 4-5 seconds and then shuts off.

I don't have a VAG so short of towing it to a mechanic any ideas on what the problem could be?

Old 05-11-2016, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

Update:

VAG Com shows no errors other than engine cylinder mis-fire (oxygen sensor)

Pump is working correctly - Back rises to level 1
Front doesn't move at all - investigating leaky/cut hose for front of car

Here is a question regarding the air hose: The one connecting to the compressor seems flimsy/spongy to me. Is this normal or is it fatigued and be replaced?

Old 05-27-2016, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

Resolved.

Removing both the front tires and doing a soapy water test clearly showed a giant leak in the right front. Having had air bags fail before I hadn't had both sides of the car collapse and particularly while driving.

Anyways, since I had replaced the air pump with a new one the car can go from position 1 to position 4 in 57 seconds which is extraordinarily fast compared to what has been the the entire time I have owned this allroad. I recall it taking one minute to go from position 2 to 3.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the update Gene, glad you figured it out!

Did you replace the airbag yourself? Curious if you used one of the Arnot or ? replacement units...

Old 06-22-2016, 06:34 PM
1st Gear

I did the airbag myself this time along with putting in a new pump. The pump ended up not being the problem but I am glad I replaced it anyway because the suspension operates so quickly now: Position 1->Position 4 in less than a minute. In addition I am seeing zero drop in the suspension now even if the car sits for 2 weeks.

In the future I think I would just replace both airbags at the same time instead of independently. Two failed in the last year and both were Arnott. Arnott does not honor the lifetime warranty if car ownership changes. Also the pump I got as a replacement was for a Mercedes so the tubing placement is slightly different but very easy to modify for the allroad.

I did end up having to take the car into my mechanic for some other work however. She has a 130k miles on her now. Outside of normal maintenance it should be another 50k before having to spend a bunch more money.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

[QUOTE=genekeenan;1505045Outside of normal maintenance it should be another 50k before having to spend a bunch more money.[/QUOTE]

If it wasn't an Allroad that would hold true, however.....

Old 06-28-2016, 01:22 PM
1st Gear

Haha! So true... I'm praying like genekeenan that I'm in the same boat. New timing chain on my 4.2 and hopeful to get another 150k out of the car!

Old 07-01-2016, 12:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Allroad8637
If it wasn't an Allroad that would hold true, however.....

Hey, a guy can dream right?

Old 07-04-2016, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Popper1101
Haha! So true... I'm praying like genekeenan that I'm in the same boat. New timing chain on my 4.2 and hopeful to get another 150k out of the car!
Bought mine for 3k, changed timing belt water pump and thermostat for good measure for £550. A month later thinking my timing was out I put it back in, cam pulley seal was pissing oil, and the pulley was knackered. Valve cover was also leaking oil. Was getting all that sorted out and thought I may aswell MOT it as it was due. £2600 to get it back on the road!

It has since developed a rattling noise when I hit slight bumps in the road and the air con needs fixing.

Gotta love these cars !