Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Transmission Toast...

Old 06-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Default Transmission Toast...

Hi,

I am new to this forum but I wanted to see if others All Road owners have experienced transmission problems. I have an 01 - 2.7T Allroad with 82k on it and a few days ago my wife was trying to back out of the drive way and when she put the car into reverse it would not move - when reved hi it would try to move a few inches and do nothing. I was able to get her home by putting it in drive then reverse a few times and pushing it with one foot on the ground. Drive seemed like it was working ok - I had to drive it on Sunday and on a pretty flat driveway I ended up having to back up and again it had the same response. I took it in today to my local shop and bam - I was told it would be 4,200 for a rebuilt trans from Audi and another 12 hours of labor to install. Is this a common problem on these cars? It seems like waaay too low of miles to have this happen. Do I have any options other then forking out close to 6k when all is said and done?

thanks
Jerry

Old 07-07-2006, 03:42 AM
Default RE: Transmission Toast...

That's not good news for me. I just bought a used 2001 allroad with 58k miles, and this weekend the same thing happened to me. I haven't even owned it for a month yet. I have an appointment next week with a repair shop, I hope it's something less serious than a new transmission. Based on some research on audiworld I think it's possible that it could be a torque converter. Maybe just low on transmission fluid? Can anyone else shed some light on this for us?

Old 07-16-2006, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear

A former coworker used to have either a 98 or 99 A6 Avant that he bough as certified pre owned. Don’t know if the Avant and 2.7T have the same trans but most likely they do. His car experienced a similar problem as you described except it would only happen when the temperature was jut right, not colt or too hot. He took it to the dealer and they picked and pocked and could not find the problem. After the third trip to the dealer he insisted on having the transmission replaced but the dealer was very hesitant and informed him that it might not solve the problem. In the end they found him a similar model and took his lemon back. Reading this forum only tells me that Audi still refuses to fix a problem that certainly seems like very common. File a complaint with NHTSA.

I don't have much confidence i the new automatic transmissions too many plastic parts, sensors and solenoids, yeah, they give you better gas mileage and better performance but in the long run they are c-r-a-p! That is one reason why I only drive a manual.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:31 PM

I am having a similar problem with my 01 allroad. The car will back up in reverse, but with little power and not up an incline. It now has about 100K or 60mi on it. I am hearing it might be the torque converter, but the forward gears shift well with lots of power. Have you resolved your tranny problem.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:36 PM

Was it the torque converter or a complete overhaul. My allroad has similar mileage with same problem. Thanks

Old 08-18-2006, 08:03 PM

I'm taking in my '01 allraod with 81,500 miles to a transmission place next week to figure it out. Said they have never rebuilt one for less than $3000 and that once rebuilt it'll last as long as original...another 80,000. Said that the newer trannys for VW and Audi are in a lot with blown trannies. USed to be that you never saw a VW in for transmission problems, but the German engineering just isn't what it used to be.

Said that the biggest problems are in climbing hills/mts. Hell, isn't that what this car was designed to do?

Old 08-21-2006, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: TPinCO

I'm taking in my '01 allraod with 81,500 miles to a transmission place next week to figure it out. Said they have never rebuilt one for less than $3000 and that once rebuilt it'll last as long as original...another 80,000. Said that the newer trannys for VW and Audi are in a lot with blown trannies. USed to be that you never saw a VW in for transmission problems, but the German engineering just isn't what it used to be.

Said that the biggest problems are in climbing hills/mts. Hell, isn't that what this car was designed to do?
i always believed that they were designed for the autobahn....and snowy days...not necessarly hills/mtn's. maybe a subaru?

Old 09-03-2006, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

Seems to only be a problem with the Autos... I to only drive manuals
My 01 allroad has a 6 spd manual and it's been trouble free...

-Eric

Old 09-26-2006, 12:21 AM

I'm having the same problem with my 01 Allroad with 55K miles. Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this? Is there a solution besides a new transmission? I'm pretty disgusted at Audi for not addressing this. Thanks for any lessons learned already.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

The american-made car I had before the Allroad 6 manual behaved the following way: engine revving, car not moving (forward or reverse), especially when cold. It ended up being low transmission fluid. Another element to consider is the type of fluid: Dexron II/III vs Audi G-052-025-A2 (for Aisin AW slip-controlled lock-up automatic transmissions). Something more to watch for...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Toast...