Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

Transmission Toast...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Default RE: Transmission Toast...

I too have an 01 allroad with torque converter problems at 45K miles. Engine light came on but not blinking. Local dealer said indicates computer not getting signal from torque converter and that it hasn't failed yet but will at some point. Might be soon. Might be a long time from now. Cost $3000. I asked what happens when it stops working? Answer was that I might experience some sluggishness and some decreased mileage.
Anyone know:
1. What torque converter failure looks like? Trying to decide whether to just tolerate the check engine light and drive it until it fails.
2. I also had the driver's side leaking air bag problem.
3. Anyone know of attempts to reach out to Audi about this to see if they will do something to make it right? $4-5K major repairs at less than 50K miles seems inconsistent with the brand image they promote.

thanks.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: jerrym

Hi,

I am new to this forum but I wanted to see if others All Road owners have experienced transmission problems. I have an 01 - 2.7T Allroad with 82k on it and a few days ago my wife was trying to back out of the drive way and when she put the car into reverse it would not move - when reved hi it would try to move a few inches and do nothing. I was able to get her home by putting it in drive then reverse a few times and pushing it with one foot on the ground. Drive seemed like it was working ok - I had to drive it on Sunday and on a pretty flat driveway I ended up having to back up and again it had the same response. I took it in today to my local shop and bam - I was told it would be 4,200 for a rebuilt trans from Audi and another 12 hours of labor to install. Is this a common problem on these cars? It seems like waaay too low of miles to have this happen. Do I have any options other then forking out close to 6k when all is said and done?

thanks
Jerry

jerrym,

i experienced the same problem with my 2001 a6 4.2 transmission 4 days ago. accelerated quickly and aggressively in forward gears but barely moved few inches in reverse.

what was the resolution to your transmission problem? rebuild? replacement?

any help and assistance would greatly appreciated. thanks.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Eric Mckenna

Seems to only be a problem with the Autos... I to only drive manuals
My 01 allroad has a 6 spd manual and it's been trouble free...

-Eric
We have a 2.7T 6-Speed Allroad in the shop now for a new trans, so I wouldnt quite say that.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:21 AM

I would be checking recall information as it seems to be an issue

Old 01-08-2007, 02:16 AM

I have an '02 Allroad with the auto that had a similar problem, that I bought with ~45K miles. Thankfully, I bought the new car extended warranty before the factory warranty ran out, with some initial regret. I brought the car in for service because of a clicking noise noise. Turns out that I had lost the all wheel drive, and only had the front wheels driven. The trans was replace under the extended warranty, and come to find out that the trans-axle had to be replaced as well. It was in the shop for almost 3 weeks. Would have cost me ~$7-8K. Sounds like the trans problem is pretty extensive.
I also had a front CV joint go bad recently duringa trip. The whole front left half shaft assembly had to be replaced. Any else have problems with CV joints?
Karsten

Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 PM

Old 05-24-2007, 02:45 PM
3rd Gear

Would it be cheaper to buy a new rebuilt? That sucks. Thats why i dont buy Tips. I will always have the manual.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

mmmm transmission tost...
anyways, my friends jeep was having the same problem climing up steep hills and sometimes in cold, turnes out he just needed to put more tranny fluid in there, and a different kind took care of the sluggishness in cold. no one has said if this solved the problem, so maybe this could be an inexpensive way to try to fix the problem. also now i am worried after reading these with my '97 cabriolet, so does anyone know any kind of date these have started to pop up?

Old 05-26-2007, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

These stories are starting to scare me.....I have a 01 allroad with 31k on it and every so often i get a clicking noise from some where when i reverse too fast. It only happens very rarely but it happens.....I have a steep driveway so didnt think much about it. I just replaced my tires on my car and my mechanic stated you should always replace all tires at once because if you only do two they wont be the same size around and the allwheel drive systemthinks something is a miss and will compensate for the mismatch and your trans will work harder. leading to problems.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 PM

It looks like the '01 model year is experiencing these issues heavily today.

Does anyone know if similar torque converter/transmission overhaul issues will creep up on later model years as they age further or did they finally address this issue once and for all in later years?

Reason for asking is that I'm contemplating the purchase of an '04 (mileage somewhere between 30K and 45K). Did they work out some of these costly bugs by this model yearor will it suffer the same fate as its predecessors? I'd like to be able to drive it to 100K miles and not spend crazy $$ to keep it going.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Transmission Toast...