Allroad Model Line Audi's take on the modern "Crossover" of a sport utility vehicle and a station wagon

washer resevior empties out

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:31 PM
1st Gear
Default washer resevior empties out

Hello new owner of a 2001 2.7t allroad. Awesome car but a problem had returned.When i bought car a about 6 months ago the car wouldnt keep and fluid in washer tank for windsheild. It would empty out after turning car off. Took back to dealer and they fixed it. Turns out it was for the water to shoot out on the headlites.Now it has come back and the dealer said we didnt use washer fluid that wouldnt freeze. and something broke and they want big money to replace. Is there any quick fix to this problem for now.....so can keep my windshield clean. I dont care if the headlites have water shooting on them. Thanks..

Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: washer resevior empties out

If the leak is only located by the headlight washers try using your windshield washers without the headlights on and see if it leaks. If it doesn't the leak is after the headlight washer pump to the front bumper area, just don't use the windshield washers with the headlights on and you won't empty out your washer bottle. If it leaks with the headlights off your pretty much screwed and its just gonna leak out all the fluid anyway. Your gonna have to get it repaired.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

I have the same problem with my 2001 Allroad. On diagnosis, found the washer pump for the headlights is broken. I think the part costs less than 40 bucks online.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

Hello allroaders....i've been working on a solution to my problem and there isnt any. For some reason my allroad will empty out all the windshield fluid via my headlite washer system after i turn my car off. NOW...This doesnt happen all the time. It only does it SOMETIMES. There were several suggestions to why it was happening, and believe me money was involved. I've had EVERYTING checked and its one of those things. It first was a cracked jet for the headlites. When you added fluid to the system it would drain out (at the headlite jet location)after turning car off. Within 5 minutes after turning car off. NOW the jet is fixed and it will still do it. Only now it seems to be once a month or so. Some kind of computer glitch tells the headlite washer to turn on and not stop till washer tank is empty. The next day I will refill tank and everyting is fine till the next time.....It used to bother me but I love the the car and I dont care.....

Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 AM
3rd Gear

I had same problem on my A4 and it ended up being the hose leaking. On hot days it wouldnt, cold days it would!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
1st Gear

I have the similar problem of fluid leaking out all the time. My garage floor is getting a permanent blue stain. My mechanic was fixing the same problem on an A6...the headlight washer jet. He says that's almost always the problem. I was able to get my hand in back of the headlight (no easy task) and found a leak at the base of the washer. It's getting fixed soon.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear

Well.... I'm another victim exactly as "capecodallroad". Mine leaks when it wants to and only after the car is off. I try not to activate the washers when the headlights are one as I dont want aggravate a problem. In addition, my headlight washers seem to squirt out as much water as that passing a day over Niagra so if teh car is clean it certainly is not after the exercise. If you find a solution, please let me/us know. Cheers

Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

Hey allroaders......I know its been a while.....Car has been fantastic.....no New problems.....The windshield washer problem still exsitsbut no more puddles on the ground......After much time invested this is where I am at.........My problem in the begining was a cracked jet on the passenger side.....It was repaired and then it didnt leak it would just start spraying water inside the bummper and wouldnt stop till there wasnt any water left. I started to monitor when this would happen. Only after car was off and no other reason. I kept a log to keep trac. For example.....Car on hill, cxar not on hill,how long drove car, if used washer system or not. Many different ways over a few month period. IT didnt matter. The computer was telling system to clean headlites but with out pushing up jet. My problem was that I bought the car with only 14k on it and it was 5 years old and no warranty. It did a-lot of sitting in a garage in NYC. When I got it it had some little quirks. After owning a VW I was kinda used to them...What I did to date and I havnt had a problem with it in a while was I had the tech clear or reset the computer AND i now use a thicker washer fluid than the normal blue stuff. I now use the orange rainx type. Im not sure if any of this helped but it has been alot better. I also use the sytem alot more now than in the begining. I did however notice the problem was more frequent in the warm months as compaired to winter.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

My 03 allroad had similar problem. I actually saw leak with the engine/power off (~10 fl oz over 12 hrs) from the front bumper when temps were ~0 to 30F. Took it to dealer. They said the nozzle to the headlight is cracked on both sides. Fixed it for $350 (luckily I am still under warranty). The mechanic said the nozzle shouldn't crack as long as I use proper washer fluid (like -22F). Well I always used de-icer fluid... Just let you know how much it would cost for a dealer to fix..