Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

2006 A3 issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Default 2006 A3 issues?

Hi.
I just picked up a used '06 A3 2.0T with 65K miles on the clock.
Service history is unknown, but the car seems to be in good shape.
What are some of the standard (or non standard) issues that are common in these models that I should be looking for?
What, if any, things should I do in terms of preventing any known issues?

I have heard the trans control modules are iffy. Anyone have that experience? What are the symptoms?

I have also heard the timing belt and water pump should be changed. Anyone experience a failure?
Other than that, my temp gauge is inop. Any ideas?

Thanks for any info.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Probably the most common complaint is that many of these engines burn oil at the rate of a quart every 1500-3000 miles. That seems to be related to the PCV system which has gone through a number of revisions. There are after-market systems that address this, but I haven't seen data that says they truly solve the problem.

Be sure to use synthetic VW 502 approved oil (Mobil 1 0W-40 and Castrol 5W-40 are two readily available examples) and change it every 5-6000 miles. The DSG fluid and filter should be changed every 35K.

Here's an excellent listing of A3 issues (and some remedies)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3366758

Another VERY valuable website for A3 owners:

http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/

Other problem areas:
Wheel bearings - I had one fail at about 32K, nothing since (now at 63K)
Radiator leaks - another one I experienced with no obvious external cause
Fuel pump cam follower wear
Seat bolster cracks
Fuel lines running under the right side rattle (sounds like its coming from the glove box) - easily fixed. See OOOO-A3's site.

I had my DSG Mechatronics unit (transmission controller) replaced under CPO warranty at 55K and it has greatly improved everything about that transmission/clutch. This was a design change rather than a part failure, AFAIK.

OTOH, positive things about A3's, besides the great driving characteristics, practical configuration and surprisingly modest insurance cost:
With a VAG-COM interface running through a Windows laptop, the power steering assist can be adjusted on 2006 cars (not possible on later years)
LOTS of other things can be done with a VAG-COM. My changes:
- Enable heated mirrors (I don't have the cold weather package; requires the purchase of a replacement driver's side mirror)
- Disable/enable auto door locks
- Enable/disable Daytime Running Lights
- Set the fogs to be the DRL
- Enable window/sunroof close, windows open from the key fob
- Tweak radio settings
- Change seatbelt warning time/chime
- Calibrate gas mileage in the trip computer
- Make performance measurements: torque (horsepower can be calculated from torque and rpm), boost, time to speed, many other parameters
- Best of all - read, interpret and clear error codes

The ahstray can be removed, creating a much more usable space in the center console with this kit:

http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=387