Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

replace camshaft sensor no start

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:37 PM
1st Gear
Default replace camshaft sensor no start

I've got an 09' A3 2.0T S Line and about a week ago the car started running rough and the CEL popped on. I drove it about 10 more miles and then parked it. After pulling the codes I got misfire on all fours and a p0011 code, camshaft sensor. Well figuring that was the problem since all plugs or coil packs aren't going to fail at once I replaced the sensor and changed the oil ( it was about 8K miles past due and figured this is what probably failed the sensor.) While it will turn over and by the sounds all four cylinders are firing normal, it won't start.

Any suggestions on where to look next at the potential problem? Could the timing have gotten knocked out of whack just from driving it 10 miles after the misfire? I cleared the codes with my OBD as well.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-21-2017, 11:20 AM
2nd Gear

Yes it is possible.
The code you found indicates a problem with the cam position not the sensor itself (though not unlikely of course). Most think though it's usually a bad sensor and replace it. Unfortunately many times it indicates something was wrong with the actual timing. From what I've seen a very common fault is the cam tensioner. It rides on a plastic rail and that starts shaving off after many years of use/abuse. A little while after the shaving you can brake the plastic rail and it no longer provides proper tension which results in the above mentioned code (among others sometimes).
I would open the engine and take a look inside. This will involve having the correct gasket on hand so you can seal it when you are done, the cam tensioner, chain and of course set correct timing when complete. Last thing should but an oil flush (not just oil change) and replacing the pickup screen/tube (since you most likely have plastic pieces floating around that can block oil flow).

These instructions are only one scenario so maybe you got lucky and did it's something easier / less costly but except for checking wiring and signal, I'm out of ideas. Maybe someone else can jump in and provide some good ideas or pointers.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

I forgot to mention a 506 code and also all the misfire codes including 300, 301,302, 303 and 304. Also if the tensioner broke wouldn't that have left me stranded on the side of the road? I read another thread where the guy said after the misfire, it ended up frying all his coil packs so before I open up the block I'm going to test the coil packs..

Old 02-22-2017, 01:36 PM
2nd Gear

The tensioner could have broke but still somewhat provide guidance to the chain if not completely destroyed. This would do 2 things:
* send plastic to the oil pickup screen causing oil starvation
* cause issues with timing that not necessarily cause the engine to die but does cause rough idle/misfire and possibly hard/no start.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

Well this is the last Audi I'll buy. Having owned 7 of them I'm giving up. The tensioner broke in turn throwing the timing and bending valves. So now I have a $3K bill to flip for this. Along with that the head might need re-surfaced, plus the chain and tensioner and valves. Called AOA and they won't do ****. They have a recall on the 2.0T A4 for this exact problem but not the A3. Maybe they should start selling their cars at Walmart.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:07 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry for the (and somewhat expected) bad news that's tough and sucks big times. I doubt any major dealer would do anything after the car has reached 8 ears of age and many miles on the odo.
I would however look around for a class action lawsuit. I friend of mine had something similar happen to his b5 a4 (timing belt snapped) and they lawsuit paid for the repair costs. Only problem of course is you have to find it, wait for it and with some luck a year later (or more) finally get paid back - not really a great solution for you in the meantime though

If you own the car:
- part it out
- start your career as a hobby mechanic
- sell to a mechanic who wants to get his hands dirty (actually probably best option. Another friend of mine bought a 2004 Allroad for 2k recently that wasn't working because he doesn't mind getting his hands dirty and was just looking for a good looking car overall, regardless of mechanical problems).
- or trade in for a working car (don't expect much obviously).

I really don't have many ideas left since you already reached out to AoA and looking at repairs costs you have shopped around without finding an amazing deal.

-Good luck

Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM
1st Gear

So I'm going ahead and fixing the A3. Took the head into the shop as all the intake valves were bent and they re-surfaced the head. I have it torn apart but am looking for information on the TSI engine (engine code CCTA) to get specs on the timing marks and what the settings are for this. I can't find any information on the timing for this engine on the interwebs. Anybody have a link or thread to this?