Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 2000 model 5dr manual ongoing problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Default A3 2000 model 5dr manual ongoing problems

I bought an A3 2000 model 5dr manual in 2005 and have been getting a number of problems. Was wondering if anyone knows if my problems are all unrelated, or if there might be a computer/electrical fault.

Problem 1: Bose Concert 10 stack CD system.
Intermittent CD and radio dropout left side front/back speakers. The sounds comes back sometimes when driving, but then cuts out again. AudiService spent 2 hrs to try and resolve, I asked them to disconnected & reconnected speaker wires but they couldn't find any fault - was working ok at time of inspection. Previous owner unaware of any existing problem.

Problem 2: Speedometer.
Intermittently fluctuates giving erratic readings, other times works ok. When erratic, I can hear slight electric surge hum through sound system. AudiService advised Faulty Speed Senser but after inspection, seemed to settle down, but problem has returned.

Problem 3: Rear windscreen wiper.
Jumpy two-step motion. Service technician advised it indicated an electrical fault.

Problem 4: Central locking system.
Both remote keys no longer function, have to manually open car. Also means petrol cap lid can no longer be securely locked.

We have spent a lot of money on other servicing: Clutch master cylinder replaced, replaced starter motor, and not happy about puring more money into this car!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:45 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A3 2000 model 5dr manual ongoing problems

Wow, I don't even know what to tell you. It could possibly be a grounding issue. Check out your battery cables, make sure the cable for the ground (black) is secure on both the battery and wherever it connects to the car at the other end. Do you have a digital multimeter? If you probe the ground it should indicate ground on the display, probably with a (-) sign. Also just for the heck of it, check your voltage with the car off and idling. When the car is off it should read slightly above 12v, idling it should be 14.4v. Watch it for a minute and see if there is and large fluctuation (+/- 0.5v).