Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 leaking engine coolant + AC causing loud fan noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Default A3 leaking engine coolant + AC causing loud fan noise from engine

Hello chaps, I am hoping you can help me get some insight into this problem, so I have some knowledge before getting ripped off by a garage.
I recently purchased a 53 plate (2004) Audi A3 2.0 TDI 140bhp. The car drives a dream, but I noticed when I have the air conditioning on, a loud fan noise comes from the car.
Additionally the coolant warning came on today, and sure enough the engine coolant has leaked. I topped it up with water and coolant straight away. I cant seem to see the leak, but I need a better inspection, it seems a fairly slow leak.
I have checked for oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, and white exhaust fumes etc, but everything looks to be fine.
I am hoping the problem is a small one as I bought the car privately less than a week ago.
Could anybody tell me if these two problems are linked, and if it sounds like something small to have repaired?

All responses appreciated, thank you.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Default the 2 problems

Hello, and regarding the problems, lets take them one at a time.
First, the fan noise coming from the front of the car is normal. (I assume it isn't like a squeaking or a shrieking noise. If it is, then it might be a pulley or a belt. If it isn't then the fan is just moving a lot of air (as it should be, it is trying to cool off the coolant for the A/C and run the compressor.) (the louder a fan is, the more air it is moving...)

Secondly, the leak could be from any of the coolant tubes or seals for them. That involves a lot of looking and searching for it. In my knowledge, there is no other way for finding the leak, other than putting a type of powder on all the coolant pipes and checking for runoff on the pipes afterward (that was just an idea to help.)

Finally, i am just another Audi guy, and to really help, go to a mechanic... this is just a hypothetical diagnosis

( I am a guy who can't change the oil to save his life. Takes me about 4 hours, on a good day.)

Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM

Did you get this problem fixed??
I just bought a 2003 A3 TDI and my coolant went down about once a week the light came on!! so i took it back the the dealer (non audi) i got it from! he put it into the local Audi dealer and it was a porous head!! £1800 later it was fixed and thank god the dealer i got it from paid the bill!!!
Hope this helps?

Thanks
Gary

Old 10-22-2009, 03:19 AM

Hi Gazza, the problem was indeed a cracked cylinder head. It also cost me £1800 but unfortunately, I bought mine privately so had to foot the bill myself!