Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 Sportback, from "love of my life" to "greatest disappointment".

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:07 AM
1st Gear
Default A3 Sportback, from "love of my life" to "greatest disappointment".

Hello!
I have a 2009 Audi A3 Sportback, 1.8TFSI 160BHP petrol engine, 6-speed manual, 42.000 km (bought new, i'm the only one who drove the car).
All-in-one, until a week ago, it was the car of my life and I loved every inch of it.
A week ago though, one morning, the car wouldn't start. The battery was fine, everything worked, except that the engine didn't start. I took the car to an authorised service.
The next day they said that the timing chain had snapped and they had to check the engine to see if any damage has been done.
3 days later they told me that the pistons, the valves and lots of other parts (which i can't name in english) were damaged and the total repair sums up to more than 5000 euros.
Imagine my shock, considering that the car has 40.000 km and was kept in perfect conditions at all times.
Now I'm trying to find a solution because I can't afford (and don't even want to consider) such a repair bill. But I'm also considering questioning Audi for their products, because I loved Audi and everything it stands for until this unhappy occurence.
No warning sign/light appeared in the dashboard, nothing. I'm very upset and angry at Audi, especially because this is not my fault, and I didn't even have any warning sign that something went/is wrong.
Probably I'll let my frustrations change my point of view and just quit being an Audi fan...

Old 11-05-2013, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Fortunately, I finally come to terms with the service and they offered me a big discount on the new parts (because of the service history, the low mileage on the car, etc). Noone could tell me how the timing chain got loose and snapped but I'm happy that they offered me a solution so I can have my car back healthy again.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:23 PM
2nd Gear

Glad to hear they made an arrangement. Considering the amount of VW/Audi owners that experienced low mileage engine issues just like yours they should have not charged a dime!
If you google "VW timing chain issues" or something similar you will find way more posts than you should.