Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

A3 without packages

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:16 PM
1st Gear
Default A3 without packages

Can anyone comment on their A3 2.0 front trak without packages?

I know most of you are fans of the packages but I'm really only interesrted in the Cold Weater Pkg since I live in New England. I like the base rims as much as the premium, don't need "aggressive" bumpers, don't care for Bluetooth and think the base suspension is fine. And after 10 years in a RWD BMW the front wheel drive A3 will be fine in the snow. This all diminishes the packages value a bit..

Specific questions;
What is the internal lighting without Illumination Pkg (premium and S-line)?
How is the sound without Bose Premium (convenience)?
How is the main compartment without Storage Pkg (premium)?
Is the base steering wheel tacky?

thanks for a great forum,

JEdward

Old 11-18-2008, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

I have the base A3 with only an S-line sport package (i.e. firmer suspension and added sports seats). It doesn't even have Open Sky - I had to wait 3 monts for a special order from the factory because all S-line models in North America at that time had Open Sky systems. So I can relate to all your questions:

What is the internal lighting without Illumination Pkg (premium and S-line)? Very good.
How is the sound without Bose Premium (convenience)? Very good.
How is the main compartment without Storage Pkg (premium)? Very good.
Is the base steering wheel tacky? Not at all.

My wife and I are completely satisfied with our A3. She likes its petite size and I like its zip and road-hugging ability. The interior is understated German luxury. Very nice.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

Saved 10k with a base model (only have the open sky). It's great and cost me 21.5k new (2006). It's a great car with or without all the packages. Many on here a HUGE fans of the packages. For me, the cloth and 6MT is perfect. Came out of a loaded Range Rover and into this A3 and it's been awesome. Bose is definitely not worth it to me, but the leather might have been nice with 3 dogs...

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 PM

X3 . . I agree with a3driver's and edeckerpc's comments completely.

Couldn't be happier with my base model (wish I didn't get open sky).

Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Default Just bought 2008 base a3

a few months ago. I'm very happy, although I have upgraded a couple of things.

I do think the base steering wheel and shift **** are terrible, but you can upgrade off of ebay for WAY cheaper than anything from the dealer. Those are really the only upgrades I care about - simple, relatively cheap and kind of fun

Old 11-19-2008, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2007 A3 S-line with cold weather and Open Sky. I like the optional leather steering wheel much more than the standard. I didn't like the Premium sound during test drives, but I like it more now that I play my own music. A CD changer is nice, even if you have a mp3 player.

I bought used and wouldn't have gotten the Open Sky, otherwise. It does bring in more light which would be more important with a black interior. I never open it, except when passengers ask.