Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

AFTER-MARKET STEREO question ..iPod blah blah blah

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:18 AM
1st Gear
Default AFTER-MARKET STEREO question ..iPod blah blah blah

so i am fed up with the non iPod integration.. i just want the basics!! mini jack or preferably an AUX jack that i can plug my iPod into...(like i've had in my Golf for years). i dont really care about controlling it from the steering wheel OR stereo. seems like it is such a problem just finding a solution. so i just give up and want to get an aftermarket receiver. BUT everywhere i check i see that a wiring harness is not available and says that i will need to splice into the factory wires. also mentions that I'll need to fabricate a trim plate in order to install your new receiver. sounds shady!! guess they make them for A4's but not A3's...how much different is the size i wonder?
also upset cause i will lose my bluetooth capability included in my technology package that i do enjoy using. arrg!!! unbelievable that the stock stereo (in 2007) just can't take a aux input -- SO BASIC!!! or at least integrate iPods or other MP3 palyers. Hell, even a player that plays MP3 CD's would be a plus!! they're so cheap these days.

any one have advice?? solutions??

oh and i'm not doing the FM trams crap -- sooo ridiculous! tried before, unless they make one now that blows anyone away??

thanks in advance,
e

Old 08-04-2007, 11:34 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: AFTER-MARKET STEREO question ..iPod blah blah blah

do you have a tape deck?

Old 08-04-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm also irked that the A3 is so technologically inept in the stereo department, but I realized pretty early on when doing research into the car I would buy that there is no perfect car. No single car has everything I want (and lacks everything I don't want to pay for). The Audi A3 comes closest to perfection, so I'm very happy, even though there are a few things I wish could be better, like the stereo.

rollyfoster's suggestion is right though. All stock 2007s should come with a tape deck, which you can use to play any mp3 player.

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2007, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

just the CD palyer.. no tape deck. gonna look today for a receiver option.
oh, anyone know the deal with Denison??
i went to their site:
http://www.densionusa.com/
and looks like they are no more..i heard the denison works well, and you have control of your iPod. any one use it or have any advice?
thanks,
e

Old 08-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Hmm, no tape deck? From what I've heard around on the internet, that means that your CD player should be able to recognize mp3s. (The older Concert IIs and Symphony IIs had a tape deck but no mp3 capabilities. The newer Concert II+s and Symphony II+s have mp3 capability but no tape deck. Supposedly.)

Sorry I can't answer your other questions!

Old 08-04-2007, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

Not sure if this helps but I had this in my 02 A4.
Blitzsafe made it and it plugged into the back of the stereo.
Here's some pics...
Ignore the coiled wire coming out of the ipod holder. That's actually a cell phone holder/charger.

EDIT: Here's a link to blitzsafe
http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catal...litz_audi.html

Old 08-04-2007, 07:37 PM
1st Gear

hey thanks soo much for the input!
well, i took care of it today. went to Al & Ed's Audio in Burbank,CA.
http://www.al-eds.com/
and picked up the DICE iPod Car Integration Kit for the Audi (i-Audi-R). part was 180.00 and installation was 125.00. total came to about 330.00.
a little much, but less than Audi would have been, and a much better integration system! i can either control it from the deck or steering wheel, or from the iPod itself. love it!
and the cable sits right in the console. in addition, my bluetooth still works. the sales rep told me that Denison is now DICE, hence i had trouble finding Denison online.
so i highly recommend this product to anyone looking for iPod integration for an A3!!
now my car is all set, can't think of anything else i need to do to it...except drive it.
e

Old 08-04-2007, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: eddiefury
went to Al & Ed's Audio in Burbank,CA.
http://www.al-eds.com/
and picked up the DICE iPod Car Integration Kit for the Audi (i-Audi-R). part was 180.00 and installation was 125.00.
Well duh! We could have told you that but you said...

ORIGINAL: eddiefury
i just want the basics!! mini jack or preferably an AUX jack that i can plug my iPod into...(like i've had in my Golf for years). i dont really care about controlling it from the steering wheel OR stereo.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

well that is bonus that i can control through stereo and steering wheel (even though all it reads is Track 1, etc). really just wanted an aux input. but whateves.