Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Audi A3 2008 with Chorus Radio - rear speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 03:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Audi A3 2008 with Chorus Radio - rear speakers?

Hi,
I didn't realise until today that my rear speakers don't work! Judging from the technical stuff I've read, and only somewhat understood, the Chorus headunit doesn't support the rear speakers?

I seem to have rear speakers on the doors (little ones at the top, and bigger ones at the bottom) - are they purely for decorative purposes? lol.

I seemed to get a 'Concert' Manual with my A3 (second-hand) so wondering if they may have switched to a Chorus for some reason.

If the rear speakers are just dummies, what can I do, and how much roughly would it cost to get them enabled/fitted?

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2011, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

Some very low spec A3's don't come with rear speakers or subwoofer. Unfortunately it's a lot of work to retrofit them. You'd need to source a non Bose subwoofer off ebay (plenty out there as most people can't wait to get rid of them), then the correct loom as Audi don't prewire the car for something it doesn't have. Then either aftermarket 6.5" components or stock Audi ones (ebay again) and wiring. You need the subwoofer as this contains the rear amp that powers the rear speakers and sub. No Audi head units have rear speaker outputs, they all require a separate amp. Personally I'd forget it and spend your money on a decent 2 channel amp and replace the front components and maybe add a proper sub woofer. Rear speakers are purely for rear passengers and shouldn't be used as they confuse the sound from the fronts.