Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
1st Gear
Default bike rack

so i dont have the oem rails which i wanted but they are just to $$
i was wondering what is the best option for me.. ive got a mountain bike and would not like to do any thing that will make the car look ugly or drill holes in the roof. any input would be great
thanks

Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: bike rack

This made me think of the 40 year old virgin movie when he is talking to that slizz from the book store for the second time. He says "I hope you have a big trunk b/c i am gunna put my bike in it" she replies "HIIIOOOO" haha

Sorry to get off topic but once i get that third cup of joe in me ...

Old 12-13-2007, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

Thule makes a fit kit (#2168 for the older rectangular cross bars) for the A3.

Abike (two, even) will fit inside the A3 if the bike front wheel is removed and the rear seat folded.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:13 PM

I have a Yakima rack and it works pretty well. put i dont think i can open the OpenSky with it.
i 2nd drost, you can easitly fit one MTB (i put 2 once) i the back if you take the front wheel off. My bike is a 21" frame, so it's pretty big, and it fits just perfect inside. it kinda makes me wonder why i bought the rack.....(i guess for the snowboards)

Old 12-13-2007, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

I got the Yakima rack system as well and its well. It doesn't look as clean as having the roof rails but the rack only goes on when I transport my bikes. The A3 does has enough space to hold bikes inside, but when you're coming back from a mountain bike ride and got mud and dirt all over, I'd rather have the bike on the roof.

Here's a link with more info and some pics.
http://www.rackoutfitters.com/car-ra...ck-62p1593.htm

Old 12-14-2007, 12:45 AM
1st Gear

I placed my order on the audi roof rack system. waited for 1 week, no reply. two weeks, still nothing.Eventually, i got really pissed after a month of waiting, so i called the dealership and yelled at them. They finally called around and found that the germans are redesigning a new rack system since the old one was kinda crapy and had some defects with it. So... they told me that its gonna take another few months b4 its done... but they promised me to put me on the top of the list so i'll get it as soon as the new rack is out. Ijust hope i can get mineb4 thesummer comes~ surfin! oh we should have a A3 surfing meet during the summer... lol

Old 12-20-2007, 01:21 PM

I don't know if this is too late for you but I thought I would post anyway. As an avid cyclist a rack was a priority so here's what I learned:

Thule bars fit beautifully (and they make a fit kit specifically for the A3), but you can't open the Open-sky sun roof with them installed (I found this out the hard way). If you don't have a sun roof, this is the way to go.

The factory Audi bars (which are actually made by Thule apparently), fit ok and allow you to open the sun roof. There is literally 1/4" clearance between the posts and the roof when it slides by. Unfortunately, they are almost twice the price of the Thule bars.

All the racks are set up to hook inside the door which kind of sucks because the outer door seal is squished up against it.

Audi doesn't make a fairing to fit their bars. I had to use a Thule and modify it to a) fit in the rails, and b) to move it forward a few inches otherwise it would sit right on the sun roof and you wouldn't be able to open it.

The Audi fork-down bike carrier is actually quite nice (although 50% more expensive than anything comparable). It's also made by Thule but it comes with the appropriate hardware to fit in the Audi bar T-rail arrangent.

I hope that helps!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:50 PM

I'm also a mountain biker and will be looking for a rack once I get my A3. Is there any type of rack that fits on the rear of the hatch like I have seen on some sedans (that rests on the trunk and hooks to the front of the trunk)?

Seems like something on the rear will be a little easier to manage and take off when not needed. Also wouldn't need roof rails. Probably more for just a bike though (hard to carry skis/snowboards on the back of the car I would assume!).

Old 12-24-2007, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

thanks guys

Old 05-12-2008, 12:16 PM
2nd Gear

Call me Dr Frankenstien b/c I am resurecting this thread.... Similar to what eger posted above anyone have any racks that fit on the rear of the A3? thoughts on them? I have done some reserach and know there are a couple out there but no reviews really especially for the A3 hence the resurection...

Quick Reply: bike rack