Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Is the BMW 1 Series an A3 Competitor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Is the BMW 1 Series an A3 Competitor?

So I was checking out my usual news sites and saw that pricing for the new BMW 1 series has been announced at it starts at $35k. I know this is way off topic but there are a handful of cars out there that I see as alternatives to the A3 and the Beemer is one of them. But at $35k for the stripped down version ($52,000 when you max it out with options) I don't see how anyone looking for a premium compact would go for this when the A3 2.0 and 3.2 are out there. Just my two cents.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is the BMW 1 Series an A3 Competitor?

competition with a3? not likely. maybe the s3 [if we ever get it]. the 135i is supposed to chime in at around 35k. as well as the STi. to me, its two cars that have more power off the lot then we do with ample mods. it'd be nice to see audi go back to the drawing board since their now 'competitors' are overtaking them in the power area.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Is the BMW 1 Series an A3 Competitor?

This is in reply to the orginal post.

Are you saying they are competitors because of their price? They are all completely different vehicles as far as classification goes. The 135i has the twin turbo inline six (300hp/300 ft-lbs) and is rear wheel drive. The STI or the Evo could be close if you are compariing them to an A3 Quattro, but it is still way behind on power. The closest competion in the A3 2.0T's class IMHO is the Mazdaspeed 3 which is also front wheel drive with much more power and a LSD. Not to mention you can get one fully loaded with navigation for around $25k. I think the WRX wagon is the most fair comparison for the 3.2L by vehicle type and power, but costs about $10k less. Truth be told the A3 doesn't have a true competitor. I don't think I've ever seen it in a comparo.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

In the states, the 1-series is a 2-door coupe. The A3, in the states, is a 4-door hatchback. That alone tells me they're not competitors.

If BMW were to bring the 4-door 1-series hatchback to the US, no doubt they would compete against each other, IMO.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: uwhusky

In the states, the 1-series is a 2-door coupe. The A3, in the states, is a 4-door hatchback. That alone tells me they're not competitors.

If BMW were to bring the 4-door 1-series hatchback to the US, no doubt they would compete against each other, IMO.

well played, sir

Old 11-15-2007, 04:25 PM
1st Gear

So anyone here considering switching to the beemer?

Old 11-15-2007, 04:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: IzzyA3

So anyone here considering switching to the beemer?
I think it will be an awesome little car for the price, but I haven't considered it for myself. I will pressure friends ot get it so I can drive it.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 PM
1st Gear

I think it will be an awesome little car for the price, but I haven't considered it for myself. I will pressure friends ot get it so I can drive it.
Awesome for the price?

For 2.5k more you can get a 3 series! And it's only 130lbs heavier!
3 series is bigger/roomier with more storage capacity.

IMHO, they priced the 1 series 5k too high.
People might think I'm nuts for paying mid 30's for a loaded 2.0 A3.
Imagine paying 40 something grand for a little 1 series! Yeesh.

And to the O.P.... no, they are not competition, not even close.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:44 AM
1st Gear

Not competition to the A3 at all, and I agree with others who posted above. BMW just killed the 135 with that announced price. The dollar is falling like a rock too. If I were BMW, I stop screwing around with the 1 series and offer a diesel at $30K.

BTW: Beemer = BMW motorcycle.....Bimmer = BMW car

Old 11-20-2007, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

Yes, here in Taiwan, they are competitors.

Before I bought my A3 2.0TDI I drove the BMW 120i and 120d (d is a diesel version). Both are '5 door' hatches. The price difference between the A3 diesel and the BMW diesel is about $14000, but if you compare the diesel audi to the gasoline BMW the price difference is around $3500.

In my opinion very different cars. The rear-wheel drive on the beemer is nice, but comes at a huge price in terms of rear seating and the hatch space. (I have two kids) So....the price difference on the diesel made the beemer diesel not worth it to me, but the gas was a good alternative, great performance, competitive price. But the space issues and the high operating costs of a gasoline engine versus the diesel, the A3 made more sense. Styling was also an issue and a personal choice for me...I love the A3s lines compared to the 120...it has a curvy swoop....only looks great in the 130 version which is A LOT more than an A3.

But yes, they compete!

Quick Reply: Is the BMW 1 Series an A3 Competitor?