Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Brand of Gasoline (or Petrol for those in Europe)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Brand of Gasoline (or Petrol for those in Europe)

With gas prices hitting $4 here in California, I just wanted to see if anyone's switching to cheaper brands. Here, we have Arco (owned by BP) which is consistently ¢10 cheaper per gallon than any other brand. I've heard people say to say away from cheaper gas because they use more additives, but I've also read that gasoline quality standards are so high in California that it doesn't matter what you buy because all are good.

Any opinion on this? I'm still putting in premium, but I just wanted to hear other Audi owners' thoughts.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Brand of Gasoline (or Petrol for those in Europe)

I'm not sure about the US market, but in Canada, I remember that many of the 'no-name' stations would have their fuel tanks refilled by the branded gasoline companies. So, at least in those cases, gas is gas. But of course, buy premium. I'm sure there are websites for your local area that could help you out, because you are right, I wouldn't want to increase my maintenance cost to save a buck or two on a fill-up. Plus, mileage may decrease and nullify the savings at the pump anyhow.

Here in Taiwan, only 2 major 'brands' thanks to government monopoly. And I drive a TDI...so it's diesel, or...well..diesel! Diesel here is $3.78 a gallon, whereas premium gas is about 40 cents US more. So while close to the current prices, fuel here is generally more expensive than the US, so the price variation has not been as pronounced as in the US. And, I my point out, at these prices, Americans are just approaching the prices that the rest of the world has been paying for a long time! And look at the vehicle fleets in Europe and Asia...I don't see to many Navigators! US buyers of the A3 are looking smarter and smarter with each $1 increase in the price of a barrel of oil.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

The funny thing is, I see tons of hybrid going around DC beltway and interstate 95 at 80mph. At that speed, the money you (barely) save from gas can't even justify the cost of the hybrid. Yet, some people worship those hybrids like its the "greenest" thing on earth.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

filled up at costco the other day and saved a whole $2.50

I cant believe that a barrel of oil costs $117.00
WTF!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

If the prices keep going the way they are no one will be able toafford to drive anyway....no matter where you go to buy your gas. Maybe bicycles will become the favorite form of transportation.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

Robert Farago from TTAC wrote an article on the rise of motorcycle sales. Despite the high fatality rate, people are looking for motorcycles as gas saving alternatives.

linky here

Old 04-22-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

It trips me out when I see a Hummer pull up at the gas station. If it's costing me about $50 to fill up the A3, I can't even imagine how much it costs them. The other day, on a 40 trip on the highway, I averaged 36 mpg nursing the gas pedal.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

I recently drove to vagas and made it 380 miles on a full tank (14 gallons) averaging 80-110mph the whole way.
this is with a giac chip and k&N stock replacement filter.

do the math.

or I can tell you its 27mpg

EDIT- fun drive first it was me and a new 335 bmw and then a new infinity G37