Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

chipping questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 AM
1st Gear
Default chipping questions

I recently purchased my 2007 A3 2.0 w/ S-line. This is my first Audi so I am really a "noob" to these cars. I have been doing alot of reading about chipping in this forum and I am exited about it. Here in Phoenix we have quite a few places that can do it. I have never been to a shop for this kind of work. What kind of questions do I need to be asking. I hate to sound I like have no clue what I am talking about or looking to do. I have modded before but only cosmetic like rims and suspension but I have never had any engine mods done. Any sugestions would be great. Thx...

Old 10-30-2007, 09:23 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: chipping questions

Chipping will be the best thing you've ever done......I recommend APR, and there is a dealer in AZ

23045 North 15th Avenue
Phoenix,AZ85027
miker@bbexhaust.com

You'll bump you performance up to 252hp/303 ft-lb torque with the 93 Octane program. I would also recommend getting the stock program as well so you can switch it back when you get service from the dealer (will help you from voiding your warranty). You can toggle back and forth from stock to chipped mode through your cruise control switch. You'll be in and out in less than an hour...........

Old 10-30-2007, 09:23 AM

Just read up on the different chips on the Newbie link. Click the highlighted part on my signature. That should answer a lot of your question, then post what ever else we haven't covered. You can't go wrong with most of the major brands, and there aren't any secret question you really need to ask.

Cheers!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

more info here:

http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/e...rade_8pa3.html

Old 10-30-2007, 09:31 AM
1st Gear

oh almost forgot, you'll want to upgrade your diverter valve as well once you are chipped. There are quite a few good ones on the market, but I'm an APR guy so I would recommend the R1 DV.......it has a lifetime warranty and is about $150. The DV plus the 2 programs should run you about $900 through APR.......money very well spent.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:42 AM

Personally, I would recommend the Forge DV, so do some reading and make YOUR own decision.

Cheers!

*edited for horrible grammer

Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

chef, read both threads about the chipping for the 2.0 T. And i havea fw questions in regards to that

1. Whats is the stock psi the engine is running? Saw with the chipping thread and stated between 18-20 on REVO tune. That on 91 or 93 oct?
2. Turbo Timers / Boost ontrolller. Does anyone run these? My concearn draws into the lifespan of the turbo after chipping. Projected mods will be CAI, Chip, Exhaust, and DV. Thats about it. So I dont think I'll be overboard on the mods as well as grenadin either motor or the turbo. As well as I dont wanna void warranty as I plan on getting a CPO.

thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 PM

1) The stock pressure is 10-12psi. BTW, I get around 21-22 peak and 19-20 sustained psi on the 91 REVO program with the Forge DV.

2) a) Boost Controllers aren't needed with the software reflash since that is built into the program.
b)Turbo timers are set up to keep the oil flowing to the turbo after the engine is cut-off so it doesn't cook inside the turbo. I can see the benefit, but our turbos also get flow from the coolant and are pretty small, so they cool down very quickly anyway. I would just let the engine idle for a bit prior to shut down if you have just driven the car very hard. Otherwise, you won't have a problem with the turbo overheating.

Also, I have all of the mods you listed and my car has been rock solid in terms of reliability and performance for the last 30k miles.

Cheers!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:16 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the info.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:02 AM
1st Gear

Thx for all the info.. Time to start put more quarters and maybe some dollars in my "Kitty" to save up. Again thx to all..

Quick Reply: chipping questions