Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

coolant level/temp warning light

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear
Default coolant level/temp warning light

[&:]can anyone help me, On startup my 2001 A3 1.6 coolant level/high temp warning light flashes for about 3 minutes but then goes out. It does this every time. The coolant level is correct.
cheers

Old 12-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Default RE: coolant level/temp warning light

Do me a favor and open the hood and disconnect the wiring harness attached to the coolant bottle. Look and see if there is any moisture in the harness. Sometimes there has been coolant that migrates down the wiring and causes all kinds of havioc with the electrical system. Hopefully it is bone dry, then you probably just have a sensor that is not working properly.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

[&:]Thanks Chef, I tried that and it is dry, The sensor is an integral part of the bottle and has two probes , i was wondering if it measured the p/h level or something between them, i`l see if i can get one from a scrappy.
cheers

Old 12-19-2006, 06:24 AM
1st Gear

I'm having exactly the same issue on a A3 1.8T - it's either a faulty sensor, or a leak somewhere.

Funny enough it only happens with starting the car in real cold weather. Do you find that?

Old 12-19-2006, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

[&:]hello Sumzaudi, i live in the north of england so it`s always cold here, if it ever gets warm and stops doing it i will let you know. i dont have a leak and the level is fine so i`m leaning towards the over temp senser being faulty , i`l change that first if i ever find it .
cheers

Old 12-19-2006, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

I live in London, but have only experienced the problem since it got cold here.

I've got my car in the garage, told them to check out the coolant and pressure test it - i'll let you know what they come back with. I gotta say, it's one of the most annoying problems i've had with the car!

Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 AM

I too have this problem - only recently since it got really cold. Goes off after a few minutes, coolant level is correct.
Will check the harness to see if it's dry. Let me know what happens when you change the sensor (and where to get one from ! )

Old 12-23-2006, 07:56 PM
1st Gear

[&:] You are not going to believe this, I managed to get hold of a copy of VAG diadnostic software and a OBD 2 cable to check fault codes which idicated low coolant level. even though the level looks o.k. i over filled it slightly and hey presto ,it works o.k. now.
cheers

Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 PM

I am currently experiencing a similar issue - only in the cold, and while the coolant level looks ok, I topped up the coolant and that warning went away.

However, that's twice it has occurred, and both times, coincidentally, the boot open warning light comes on intermittently, and this trips the alarm when the car is locked - very annoying! (I've taken out the fuse that sounds the alarm, in order to get some sleep)

Does anyone think these things could in any way be linked?

Incidentally, after the first occurrence the Audi dealer did a full check of the door sensor, cleaned it up, and suggested there was nothing wrong with it.

Dave

Old 01-28-2016, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

I know this thread is years old but I hope someone sees this and responds. I just bought (used, but new to me) a 2007 A3. After a few weeks of driving, it seems to be failing in certain areas.

1. The coolant light comes on when it's less than 40 degrees. I've checked the levels and it is below the max & above the min. The coolant light disappears after a few minutes and doesn't come back on if I start the car again in 5-6 hours or less.

2. A symbol comes on and had stayed on. It's the symbol indicating a faulty light but for weeks it's never told me which light. I've looked at all my lights and everything works except for the lights located in the bumper. I've actually never noticed them "on" since I've bought it. Finally, the dash board stated that it was the right parking light. I know I don't know much about cars but is this something I can fix on my own?

3. I hear a weird "singing" noise when I'm driving. The sound goes away when I press on the brakes to slow down. My boyfriend says its the bearings? Again, will this need to be fixed by a garage or can I do this on my own?

I'm trying to handle all of this myself but I'm honestly getting a little overwhelmed here with all of these things. On top of that, my rear passenger window keeps sliding down. I know it's not the motor because I can hear it working when I accidentally press it.

Someone please help :/ :/ :/

Thank you in advance!!!

Quick Reply: coolant level/temp warning light