Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Dealer--what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Dealer--what would you do?

My dealer in Taiwan has been giving me major headaches.

I know..switch dealers...problem is there is no dealer to switch to, so I must maintain a working relationship with these guys till at least next year when Audi takes over from the local distributor here.

But...I took my car in for a number of problems:
1) Rattle in the OS
2) ESP light that illuminated randomly
3) The driver's side switch for the front passenger window only works randomly.

Audi fixed the first two, but swears there was no problem with number 3.
Today, I went to get my car re-flashed because they killed my chip (I had gotten used to my chip, and wow, what a difference on stock) As they checked the VAG-COM to prepare for the software change, the ECU report back an error that specifically defines PRECISELY the problem I'm having with the window switch. So basically, Audi is lying to me when they said there was nothing wrong. The code itself even says the problem is intermittent. Any thoughts on how to handle this? Is there any reason the dealer would not want to do warranty work?

It's really putting me off Audi...and I love my car. Right now I'm wrestling with a choice I will make next year... a BMW 335 or an A5. With service like this, however, I'm getting pushed in a direction I don't want to go.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Dealer--what would you do?

It seems like your stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. Especially where the window problem isnt really a huge problem should be a simple fix its just that much more ridiculous that they would lie about there not being a problem. Im having a similar service problem now with my engine cover magically becoming cracked after a trip to the sealer that they claim i did myself. Is there anyone at an audi corporate office you can call? If they wont help you then they definitively don't deserve your business in the future especially with the gigantic premiums that you have to pay there. Good luck

Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

As much of a pain it will be, I would just keep taking it in until it gets fixed and let them know your not happy with the situation. Try and get some proof if you can to show them that it isnt working. Usually Audi calls you and asks you how your service expierence was so you can let them have it there

Old 05-27-2008, 10:11 PM

You can call Audi corporate - they have a customer service line. Tell them what the problem is and they will call the dealer. At least they offered to call the dealer on one of my issues. I would then call the dealer and let them know that youcalled Audi for advice on how tosolve the problem ...not to complain about the service. I'd be careful though not to **** off the dealer.

I don't know how warrantee work is handled but the dealer may be afraid that the intermittent issuewill be difficult to solve and maybe Audi will only give them a certain allocation of time to fix the problem - that the dealer feels will not be enough. Good luck!

PS Go with the A5 - it is SO much better looking, new and unique compared tothe 335 ...in my opinion.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:22 AM
1st Gear

If you can, get a readout, from the tuner, that shows what the problem is. The software that Audi uses is just a little different than the VAGCOM software, and perhaps their scanning tool didn't show the fault. If you can baby them, and give them every little bit of information they need and they STILL can't fix the problem or insist that there isn't a problem at all, THEN contact Audi to escalate the situation.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the posts guys....calmed me down before I burned my bridges!

I brought the code in and showed the fault, and spoke with the actual tech who will fix my car next week while I'm in the States. They certainly have a helpful attitude towards fixing the problem and allayed my concerns that they just don't care. Now, we'll see if they can fix it!!

Speaking of which, I have a pretty amazing road trip(s) lined up for Southern California, New England, and then back to the Bay Area. Too bad it's for work and even more so...too bad it will be with a rental car, and not my A3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I bother the Americans here? What's a rough driving time (leaving LAX area around 8) down to San Diego? No speeding either, I'm really afraid of the California Highway Patrol...too many episode of CHiPs when I was a kid!!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

It depends if that's 8AM or 8PM. It's taken me as much as 3.5 hours to go the roughly 100 miles. That said I've also made it in an hour and half staying within the speed safe zone.

It it's 8AM I would definitely budget 2.5 hours +/-. 8PM will likely be much quicker (-2 hours). I don't make the drive weekly but have done the drive plenty of times. Any daily commuters in that area might be able to give you a better idea. Safe travels!!!