Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Difference between sport suspension and normal suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Difference between sport suspension and normal suspension

Hi, I'm no race-car driver, but I cannot stand mushy or bouncy suspension. I don't like unnecessary body roll in the corners either. So, how much difference is there between the standard suspension and the sport suspension?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:27 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Difference between sport suspension and normal suspension

ORIGINAL: i_baked_cookies

Hi, I'm no race-car driver, but I cannot stand mushy or bouncy suspension. I don't like unnecessary body roll in the corners either. So, how much difference is there between the standard suspension and the sport suspension?
Neither suspension is mushy or bouncy. They both change a bit after the car is somewhat broken in. Problem here is that when you buy a A3 you either choose a base model or premium with standard suspension or an s-line model with sport suspension and then you drive that A3 for awhile and you'll forget the difference you felt when you were new and test driving the A3 for the first time. You'll find A3 owners here that love the slightly lower stance of the sports suspension, the stiffness the way the A3 rides, and well as the very little body sway with it. If you are driving poor roads this can bug you as the ride can be a bit rough to some. Then you have the standard suspension owners (base and premium) who don't want poor roads to be really uncomfortable on long hauls down the freeway with a little less stiffness, don't feel the bumps as much, but don't mind having slightly more body sway in turns.
You have to decide for yourself which one is right for you based on your driving style. You can always get the standard suspension and modify it later, or if you know the sports suspension is what you want and are used to, immediate limit yourself to the s-line models.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM

Yeah, can't really remember? The sports suspension is fairly tight and great for most enthusiasts. I'd prefer it to be a little lower and stiffer in the back, but that's corrected with coilovers and a rear sway bar. Otherwise, it hits the happy medium between too harsh and too soft.

Cheers!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

I origianlly test drove the sports suspension but settled for the softer feel of the premium package. The sports suspension sits about a 3/4" lower and handles much tighter in the turns. One of my projects is to swap out the front and rear sway bars to gain more stability in the turns. Lowering my A3 withkoni coiloversmight be in my future.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: just_D

I origianlly test drove the sports suspension but settled for the softer feel of the premium package. The sports suspension sits about a 3/4" lower and handles much tighter in the turns. One of my projects is to swap out the front and rear sway bars to gain more stability in the turns. Lowering my A3 withkoni coiloversmight be in my future.
If you prefer the softer feel, you should consider Koni FSD with maybe HnR or Neuspeed. One of the best combo out there without sacraficing comfort.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Yeah, can't really remember?
Cheers!
To be honest I barely can from several months ago. As the A3 breaks in the suspension changes, it becomes less harsh. But when the car is brand new bumps were a lot more noticable.
I think you mentioned this fact earlier. BTW How is your A3 doing in the body shop?

Old 04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

This may be a stupid question, but let's imagine an hypothetical (...sig...) case where you get the premium option - can Audi can install the sport suspension? I know that there are several options up there and some already posted in this thread but since my car is a business lease, I would try first any possibilities through Audi. I am a little apprehensive about changing the suspension. I do not think my boss would mind (too much…) as long as I pay for the changes… My car only has 700 miles but I feel high on the ground and I like to attack corners which is a total different animal coming from a rear engine RWD car to a front engine FWD car.
BTW, I am not afraid to ask stupid or naïve questions, I am here to learn!
Cheers.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

I kinda just started a new thread this morning with a similiar question. I am leaning towards getting an Audi A3 after totalling my bmw 530i w/ sports suspension. I test drove the A3 back to back with the premium first and then the sports suspension. I like the sports suspension more. Its not a huge difference overall but I really feel it taking fast turns... much less body sway.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: olivier

This may be a stupid question, but let's imagine an hypothetical (...sig...) case where you get the premium option - can Audi can install the sport suspension? I know that there are several options up there and some already posted in this thread but since my car is a business lease, I would try first any possibilities through Audi. I am a little apprehensive about changing the suspension. I do not think my boss would mind (too much…) as long as I pay for the changes… My car only has 700 miles but I feel high on the ground and I like to attack corners which is a total different animal coming from a rear engine RWD car to a front engine FWD car.
BTW, I am not afraid to ask stupid or naïve questions, I am here to learn!
Cheers.
The key fact is that this is a leased car. I'd talk to dealer before going any further on this subject. When you alter the suspension with lowering springs, dampers, or sway bar this might effect resale.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:21 AM

Yeah, a lease is a totally different creature. If I had a regular suspension and wanted to upgrade, then the first step would be the rear sway bar to see if that was enough of a benefit, then next a set of Tien Coilovers. The Tien Coilovers are supposedly very responsive, but much less harsh than the Bilsteins or Konis. That should be enough to tighten everything up good.

Also, a nice set of sticky tires goes a long way!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Difference between sport suspension and normal suspension