Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

DPF light on and emissions warning light on dash HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 AM
1st Gear
Default DPF light on and emissions warning light on dash HELP

The DPF warning light appeared on the dash of my 59 plate A3 on saturday afternoon tried to regenerate by taking for a 20 minute drive as suggested in manual however this did not remove warning light.

Saturday evening the glow plug light started flashing on the dash and the emissions warning light also appeared as suggested I took the car back to my local dealer as the car is still under warranty for them to fix problem.

They have called me today to tell me the reason the lights came on was that I have over filled the oil and this has caused the filter to become blocked this will need to be replaced at a cost of £1500 and is not covered by the warranty as it is driver error!!!

When i informed them that I have never topped up the oil nor has the car ever been in the garage to have anything done they suggested that I pay £300 for a full service so they can investigate it further!!

Could somebody please tell me if i'm being ripped off or this is standard

Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 PM
1st Gear

Hi,
As i had lot of trouble with my Audi a4 DPF getting blocked i though of helping others who have same problems.

Here is the solution

1) Take the car on a road where you can drive at 50mph for atleast 5 to 7 mins. Drive continuously for 5 to 7 mins at the sppeed pf 50mph in 4th gear at or above 2000 rpm. My audi clears in 4 mins (Continuous means ,do not apply brakes or reduce speed or let the rpm get lower than 2000 rpm for 5 mins) Achievable in motorways or dual carriage way.

2) Always Full the tank with diesel as it helps alot. Once you clear the dpf you shouldnt get problem till the next refill.

3) Do not ignore the warning light of dpf blockage, take the car on a long road as soon as possible annd follow procedure otherwise engine management light would come on and car would go in limp mode and would not gain a speed more than 40mph and would need to go to audi for forced regeneration costing 130 pounds.

Hope it will be of help

Originally Posted by Trickstar
The DPF warning light appeared on the dash of my 59 plate A3 on saturday afternoon tried to regenerate by taking for a 20 minute drive as suggested in manual however this did not remove warning light.

Saturday evening the glow plug light started flashing on the dash and the emissions warning light also appeared as suggested I took the car back to my local dealer as the car is still under warranty for them to fix problem.

They have called me today to tell me the reason the lights came on was that I have over filled the oil and this has caused the filter to become blocked this will need to be replaced at a cost of £1500 and is not covered by the warranty as it is driver error!!!

When i informed them that I have never topped up the oil nor has the car ever been in the garage to have anything done they suggested that I pay £300 for a full service so they can investigate it further!!

Could somebody please tell me if i'm being ripped off or this is standard

Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 AM
1st Gear

what are going to inform us it is not clear to me can i have more stuff regarding this.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 AM
1st Gear
Default dpf filter

if ur car is fitted with dpf the dpf filter will get blocked for one reason or another if you do not clear the filter by regenerating process it will eventually clog the filter and damage it to an extent where you need to replace it, it cost around 1000 to 1200 pounds to replace it and audi is bound to take around 1500 as they are professionals. un future make sure you regenerate ur car properly on the first warning light of dpf blockage, if you ignore the sign glow plug sign and engine management light comes on n u cannot do anything about itm at tat point u would need to take it dealer to regenerate and cost 130 pounds

Tell audi to regenerate it for you to see if it works, u might not need to replace if regeneration helps

Originally Posted by mikelenoard
what are going to inform us it is not clear to me can i have more stuff regarding this.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:44 AM
1st Gear

Righto, just found this thread and i have a similar problem.

DPF Light has been coming on since i moved closer to work and i usually clear it within a day or two with a drive down the nearest motorway.

I left it a bit longer this time and the glow plug light came on today shortly followed by the emissions warning light and the car went into what i guess is safe mode (power absent, would creep up to speed but felt like turbo was switched off).

So i whacked it down the M3 anyway and nothing happened. Came home, googled some stuff and saw the damage and decided to take it to local garage but....

as i got back in the car the acceleration was back again and the glow plug light had stopped flashing. 20 miles on the M3 and the DPF light then switched itself off. The only light remaining on is the emission warning light which is still worrying.

Any ideas if this is likely to sort itself?
Is it caused by too much oil but I'm guessing if the DPF is regenerated the problem wont be getting worse and I can check this by checking oil level?
Could it just be that once the light comes on it needs a garage to switch it off again?

Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 PM
1st Gear
Default DPF Light

I have had similar problems with my DPF light coming on, the last time it came on I also hammered it on The M3 as did the last time it came on drove in 4th gear @ 3000 rpm from jct 4A to jct 5 Hook before the light goes out.
I have bought some DPF cleaner from Camberley Auto Factors in Hawley lane
put this in on a full tank not had the light come on since though I now give it some welly when I can.

Tony.