Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Driver Information System DSI not working???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Default Driver Information System DSI not working???

Hi,
I just bought a second hand A3, 2004 2.0 TDI SE version. The central DIS doesnt display any information, i.e temp, miles left before refill, radio etc, the only thing I ve seen in the central unit is a small car icon when the door is open and the fuel symbol to refill. The other warning lights on the rev counter and speedo function as you start the car, hand brake light ect, but while driving nothing is in the display centrally.
Are DSI units not standard at SE level or has mine broken? can it be fixed? and as the trader didnt tell me this before hand is he liable to repair it?
Any info would be great thanks

Old 11-20-2007, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Driver Information System DSI not working???

Not sure how the packages are set up in your area, but in the US we do have a base model with no DIS. An easy way to check if your car came with it is to look at the stalk for the windshield wipers coming out from the right side of the steering column and see if it has a 'Reset' button on the lower area and an up/down bumper on the tip. If you don't have these buttons, you're car didn't come with DIS, but you can order the stalk, swap it out, and enable DIS with Vag-Com.

Let me know what you find and I'll try to help you from there.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Hi
Cheers for the reply, unfortunately there are no buttons on the wiper stalk so guess it didnt come equiped. Is it worth the extra cost to get it installed?? Not sure if i was told how many mpg's im doing will really affect my driving,
The temp, miles to service I can view on the smallscreen under the spreedo, so may just leave things as they are.
Thanks for the quick reply

Old 11-22-2007, 11:14 AM
2nd Gear

You can take a look at the write up, the part is USD 115 and you will need access to Vag-Com. I did this on my '07 A3 -- it wasn't hard, just make sure to set aside a couple of hours and follow the instructions closely. In my opinion it was worth it, there's really not much else you can do to this car for $115.

With this mod, I now have three screens I can cycle through on the DIS: one with a large digital speed readout and external temp, and two trip computers. The first trip computer resets automatically for each trip and the second one is reset manually. Both trip computers show miles travelled, time travelled, miles to empty, average mpg, instant mpg, and average speed. I would think that your car should be the same, but we don't have the '04 A3 nor TDI option here in the states so I can't say for sure.

Anyway, if you decide to do it good luck, and be careful around the airbag!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Hi, I have the 2004 allroad 4.2. I have the Reset button on my stalk.

However, in the space where the fancy DIS control would be (with the MENU button and joystick), I have a space and a rectangular hole, in which a cable might go through.

Can I get the fancy MENU/joystick control or is there a cover that goes over it since I don't have that version of the DIS (and have the one on the stalk instead)?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 AM
1st Gear

Hi all my dis has no back light when Sun shines on dash you can see information displayed how easy is it to change bulb?