Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

ECU Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:34 PM
1st Gear
Default ECU Modifications

I have been reading through these forums and I am a bit confused, so I have a few questions... hopefully I don't sound too stupid in asking them
[ul][*] Are both of the APR and REVO ECU products actual new ECUs or are they just software that is flashed on to the stock ECU?[*] When I buy an ECU upgrade, would I be able to install it, or do I need a dealer to do it?[*] The APR upgrade seems to be controllable through the cruise control to change between programs using their EMCS technology. And the REVO, through a SPS or Select device. So if I don't get these additional devices what do I actually get if I buy the standard ECU upgrade?[*] If I opt to get an ECU upgrade before I get a CAI and/or full exhaust upgrade, do I need to get new software flashed to the ECU to handle the new upgrades?
[/ul]
Cheers

Old 11-14-2006, 07:57 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: ECU Modifications

1. Just new software that are flashed onto the ECU.
2. Re: APR & REVO, you need to go to a dealer.
3. If you get the most basic reflash (i.e., no additional program or REVO select) all you get is the reflash, no option to switch to a stock mode (not exactly stock, but with stock parameters on boost, timing, etc. to emulate stock functionality)
4. If you upgrade to an exhaust later, you may need a reflash. My APR dealer, ECodeTuning, would not charge if it is the one who installs the part.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

I can help with some of these from owning and tuning my 93 RX-7 as well as (almost getting stuff done to my 2003 GTI (formally owned) I am not an expert so best case would be to find a local dealer and they are usually more than happy to explain to you.

Are both of the APR and REVO ECU products actual new ECUs or are they just software that is flashed on to the stock ECU?

- APR is software remapping, not a new ECU. Ideally find an APR tuner in your area to upgrade or sometimes you need to send it in and they do the upgrade and then send back. Not sure about REVO...

When I buy an ECU upgrade, would I be able to install it, or do I need a dealer to do it?

- An APR dealer would need to handle it and probably should.

The APR upgrade seems to be controllable through the cruise control to change between programs using their EMCS technology. And the REVO, through a SPS or Select device. So if I don't get these additional devices what do I actually get if I buy the standard ECU upgrade?

- APR explains it pretty well on their site, however the basic will just give you the ECU programming upgrade with no ability to toggle between other programs or perform things like the lock out, valet mode etc.

If I opt to get an ECU upgrade before I get a CAI and/or full exhaust upgrade, do I need to get new software flashed to the ECU to handle the new upgrades?

- Ideally you want to upgrade the ECU along with other mods to account for the sir fuel ratios etc.. In my RX-7 there were a few mods you could add on without the need to upgrade the ECU (I think it was like the exhaust, downpipe and air intake). After that (which was called the three mod rule) you definitely needed the upgrade the ECU. Many still recommended the upgrade if you did three and said two would not be a big deal.

Hope that helps....Jon

Old 11-14-2006, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

So by the sounds of it I should get the ECU flashed and the extra device to change programs and if possible (and money permitting) get a CAI and full exhaust all at the same time Cheers, this has been very helpful

Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 AM

ORIGINAL: quadric

So by the sounds of it I should get the ECU flashed and the extra device to change programs and if possible (and money permitting) get a CAI and full exhaust all at the same time Cheers, this has been very helpful
No, not exactly. I would suggest getting the switching device/capability with the intial flash, but you can just chip the car and add a CAI at your leisure without an upgrade, but the exhaust may throw codes if you don't upgrade the ECU after it's install. At worst, the software update will be about $50. You often can just get the intial chip and later buy the switching devices for no more than it would have cost you all at once. Definitely true with the REVO SPS Select, which I have, and it works very well. That might ease the initial money buy in to start modding. Once you chip that car, forever will you be !

Cheers!

Old 11-15-2006, 04:14 AM
1st Gear

Okay so the initial flash is good for adding a CAI, but when I go for the exhaust I'll possibly have to get it re-flashed... Makes sense and less stress on the pocket