AudiForums.com

Go Back   AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A3
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Welcome to Audi Forums!
Welcome to Audi Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2007, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

Default ECU reset

I did the ECU reset today (DSG transmission) and thought I'd share some things I noticed with everyone. I think it's particularly helpful after break-in.

I've got 1800 miles on the odo. I realized that, due to my grandma driving during the break-in, my computer had learned that I'm a sissy behind the wheel.

I was right. After the reset, my throttle is much more responsive, especially in the lower gears. There's a lot more power on tap and it seems more confident in its gearing selections. There's no more hesitation and pausing.

So, here's wha' happened:

ECU reset is simple, just disconnect the battery (negative, then postitive) and let it rest for 5 minutes. I made sure to leave the hood open just in case the remote didn't work. Reconnect the battery (positive, then negative). That's it.

Some things to note: [ul][*]You'll lose the info in the trip computer and your distance to empty will be a little off until you get some miles on it[*]the clock will need to be reset[*]the radio will still work, no codes are needed[*]you'll get a warning that there's an ESP fault and a yellow light. just drive the car a little and it will go away (it's in the manual. this is normal after the battery has been disconnected)[*]the one-touch windows feature won't work right UNTIL you roll them down all the way and roll them back up. Then you'll have one-touch function again.[*]My steering seems a bit tighter, but that might just be the placebo effect.[/ul]That's all I've noticed that threw me off. This is definitely worth doing, especially after break-in, to get the car to respond the way you want it to.

peaceout
Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Chef
Default RE: ECU reset

Sounds great, but, you let your Grandma drive your car??? [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Don't do that again or we will gang up on you and take away your keys!

Cheers!

Bone Stock!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

what, what? oh, i became my grandma. uh, nevermind.

I WAS DRIVING SLOW
Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Chef

LOL

I was hoping that the grandma driving was actually your grandma, and not your lack of over-enthusiasm. You're definitely a better man than me for holding out on total throttle usage from day 1.

Cheers!

Bone Stock!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

This technique definitely works. I had the same experience.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

is this the only way to do it ?
can you just start driving agressively and they will adapt to the new driving style?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:55 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rollyfoster
[ul][*]you'll get a warning that there's an ESP fault and a yellow light. just drive the car a little and it will go away (it's in the manual. this is normal after the battery has been disconnected)[/ul]
Wish I had read this a few months ago! First "mod" (if you can call it that) that I did to my A3 was swapping out the wiper stalk and enabling the trip computer (did a boost gauge at the same time). Anyway, to replace the wiper stalk, you have to remove the airbag (talk about a tense moment), the steering wheel, and various other components in the steering column. After I got everything buttoned up and took it for a spin, I got the ESP error and I was FREAKING OUT! I thought I had just screwed something up hard on my new A3 with <1000k on the odo. It did go away though the next time I started it up.

Anyway, good to know for any other noobs out there.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:55 AM

Tags
2006, a3, audi, box, brake, car, change, computer, drive, dsg, ecm, ecu, password, produre, reset