Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

ECU software "Run-In"

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default ECU software "Run-In"

So I'm under the impression that when I get my APR code flashed this Saturday (along with the installation of my exhaust) there is a period of time when the ECU software will be working in an adaptive mode and tuning itself to my driving style. Does anyone have any pointers with what I should be doing to get the most out of this? That is, sit in D for the first 1 hour with normal driving, 2nd hour open it up a bit, hour 3 go WOT. Then swap it over to S and do the same. I remember a long time back I read someones post about what is the suggested method of breaking in the software. If anyone has any pointers that would be great.

Thanks

Okay I found this on VW Vortex here, any other comments or suggestions from people?

If one does an APR download on a DSG car simply drive it in the mundane D mode for the 1st. phase of break-in. Focus on smooth driving habits & notice how easy it is to glide around point-to-point . It's suddenly silky smooth in typical traffic conditions, on the roads you know well. Take it easy, give the program 100-150 miles to settle in and don't worry, fret or over-think it (have a little faith.) Next 100 miles play w/ S mode and get more aggressive. After a full tank of gas explore the manual mode extensively (paddle & lever producing interesting differences) and use WOT whenever you can. Blip down a gear or two for passing. Fast lane changes are spectacular. It took my car about 350 miles to make, more or less, a 95% transition to the APR program. At the 400 mile point I see improvements in all transmission functions and power is coming on strong and smooth. Excellent power gains!!!

Also after the 3rd tank of gas (assuming you are taking mileage notes) you will notice an improvement in fuel consumption. This was the icing on my APR cake. Very impressive considering that I drove w/ my new APR software at silly fast speeds on my 3rd tank of gas.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Default RE: ECU software "Run-In"

Well, I'm not sure that I buy all of that. I do notice that it takes many stops and starts before a switch in programs shows its full effects. True when I switch from 91 to 93 octane. I personally wouldn't worry about driving styles, just know that the full effect will take a little while to be fully experienced.

Getting yourself ready for my move to your neighborhood next June??? LOL

Cheers!

Old 07-24-2007, 10:23 PM
1st Gear

Yeah sounds way to complicated and I know it is somewhat adaptive. But as you say full potential will only be after a short run in time.

You have to come out to some of the Texas Audi Group GTGs

Old 07-24-2007, 10:34 PM

Planning on it!!!

You guys better be up to some LA style driving.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:39 AM
1st Gear

we're used to that in austin now! you haven't lived until you get stuck behind someone from dripping springs with a californian behind you. it's like being caught in highway purgatory.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:00 AM
1st Gear

<apologizing in advance for the hi-jack>
Chef, you moving to TX?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Yep!

My wife and I are building a house in the area between San Antonio and New Braunfels. I expect to be there by June of next year.

Watch out Texas!!!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

So I got the whole deal, 4 programs [stock, 91, 93, 100], plus all the extras; Security Lockout, Fault Code Erase & Throttle Body Alignment. First impressions are that there is not as much torque as what I was getting during myREVO trail. Although it has all be mostly highway driving and no stop starts which is where I noticed the REVO torque. But my boost is up in the high teens and some times I have hit 20lbs of boost. I have only driven ~50mi with the software in D and manual mode, no S yet. I'll have to go out on some drivees to see what its got. Plus I'm not sure what program I am in, cause I can't figure out how to change it yet. The manual I got for the software is a bit hard to understand, I think the dealer said he put it in 93 for me. Either way BIG all round [8D]

Old 07-29-2007, 11:36 PM

I bet you're zooming along now! I'm sure that you are probably set up on the 93 program, given that it's Texas and the premium is 93. Can't wait until I always have 93 on tap, and at a significant savings over LA fuel prices.

It will take the next couple of days before you experience the full power of the mods. We should be nicely matched for future GTG runs.

Cheers!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 PM
1st Gear

ATM, I don't want to drive the car too much until I get my exhaust tips aligned properly. I don't want to put my rear bumper under too much heat stress.

Quick Reply: ECU software "Run-In"