Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Erratic clutch after mechatronic replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Erratic clutch after mechatronic replacement

So I took my A3 in to get the mechatronic/DSG replacement. Immediately after leaving the dealership I had problems getting the car to move smoothly from a stop. It feels like someone that is learning stick is driving. Under light throttle from a stop, the car will lurch back and forth as I slowly give more throttle. Then sometimes if I'm stopped, and then I take my foot off the break (no gas) to let it slowly idle forward, the RPMs die for a sec and the car jerks, like it stalled.

I'm going to call in about it but I wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences.

I do have an APR chip, but I have it running in stock mode now and still have the problem.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

Oooo, sounds really wrong. BEFORE my mecha was replaced that is how I would have described the issue. Afterwords (been many months now) very smooth, I can feather the throttle in reverse and there is no jumpiness at all.

Did they not do a test drive? Regardless that ain't right....

Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 PM
1st Gear

My experience after Mechatronics replacement matches bbbobb's - very smooth clutch engagement in "soft throttle" situations (where you'd feather a manual clutch). 15K so far on the new Mechatronics and it still feels great.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the responses. I'm taking it in this week. this has been the only thing that's really annoyed me about this car and I really want to get it sorted out.

oddly, sometimes it does behave smoothly, but it's rare. Hopefully I can reproduce the problem for the tech/adviser.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

an update for documentation in case anyone else has the same problem...

I took it in and they quoted me $99 just to look at it and I started thinking, oh great now I'm gonna have to pay for them to fix what they broke for a recall.

BUT, they called later and said that the whole tranny needs to be replaced, and because of the extended warranty (my car has 66k so out of standard warranty) it's all free! and as a bonus I get a TT convertible loaner through the weekend until they finish it.

Good work Audi. Way to step up