Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

fog light indicator on, headlight and tail light out

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM
1st Gear
Default fog light indicator on, headlight and tail light out

Can't figure this one out - right fog light indicator came on a couple of days ago, all lights in headlight assembly and fog light went out and left tail light is out as well. When I turn the **** the right leds's will flash on for a second then die.

I saw there were a couple of recalls:

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
AUDI / A3 2006-2009
AUDI / A4 2005-2007
AUDI / A4 CABRIOLET 2007-2009
AUDI / TT 2008-2009
Service Bulletin Number : TSB-94-09-12
NHTSA Item Number : 10030630
Summary Description :
AUDI: HEADLIGHT, LOW BEAM MAY NOT WORK. THERE ARE TWO SEPARATE CONDITIONS THAT BOTH OCCUR IN VEHICLES WITH BI XENON, WITH OR WITHOUT ADAPTIVE LIGHTING(AFS). ONE XENON LIGHT ON EITHER SIDE SPORADICALLY FLICKERS OR FLASHES AND GOES OUT. ONE XENON LIGHT ON ONE SIDE FAILS PERMANENTLY. *PE

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
AUDI / A3 2006-2009
AUDI / A4 2005-2007
AUDI / A4 CABRIOLET 2007-2009
AUDI / TT 2008-2009
Service Bulletin Number : TSB-94-09-14
NHTSA Item Number : 10030587
Summary Description :
AUDI: THERE ARE TWO SEPARATE CONDITIONS THAT BOTH OCCUR IN VEHICLES WITH BI-XENON, WITH OR WITHOUT ADAPTIVE LIGHTING (AFS): ONE XENON LIGHT ON EITHER SIDE SPORADICALLY FLICKERS OR FLASHES AND GOES OUT. WHEN HEADLAMPS ARE TURNED OFF AND ON AGAIN OR AT IGNITION CYCLE, THE HEADLAMPS MAY FUNCTION PROPERLY OR EXHIBIT THE SAME BEHAVIOR; ONE XENON LIGHT ON ONE SIDE FAILS PERMANENTLY. *PE

Help!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:27 PM

I am having the exact same issue with my 2010 A3. We're you ever able to find out what's going on with it? I don't know if yours does it but mine will start working again for a few days (when it is over 50c outside) and then I will get the warnings on my dash and the lights will be out once more.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 PM

So as stated I was having a very similar issue to Ewok's, and was hoping for an answer on this issue. I gave up and finally took my 2010 A3 to the local dealer 3/11/2013 as it was still under warranty. My A3 is still at the dealer as of 3/12/2013 and should be ready as of Thursday 3/14/2013. Apparently the issue in my car was caused by a bad fuse box and several of the fuses in the box were melted. Audi has promised to repair the issue once they find out what is causing the fuse box to go bad. They are removing and replacing the entire electrical system to find and fix the problem. I also have AudiCare so they are doing the 35,000 mile service while they fix the fuse box issue.

While this is going on they have set me up with a loaded A6 as a loaner, that I will be driving until they make my car right. They have been more than helpful, as has AudiUSA and I am very satisfied with the service so far.

If you are still having this issue and it has not been looked at I would take your car in as soon as possible, it is apparently a bit of a fire hazard on wheels.

Good luck and I hope this helps someone else,
Aidan

Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 AM
1st Gear

Hey Aiden,

Sorry just seeing this - yes I had the same problem. Stealership didn't want to touch the car saying it wasn't within warranty, worked with Audi USA to get them to cover it.

They first changed 18 bulbs in troubleshooting, i got the car back only to have the problem reappear within 40 miles of driving it. They then ordered the fuse box and all was well. I love my A3, but Still strongly considering selling it... Electrical problems give me the creeps.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 PM

I just got my car back yesterday and was told that they previous owner had put the wrong wattage bulb in one of the tail lights causing an over amperage event to occur in the fuse box each time the break light was activated. This then melted that fuse, and also the fuses around it. They replaced the bulb the fuse box and the electrical lines around it just to make sure nothing else was affected.

From what I understand, if your issue was caused by something similar all should be well. I'm not to keen on electrical issues either, but like you I love my A3 and I'm going to give it as many chances as I can.

I will update as needed if I have any further problems related to this issue.

Good luck to you also Ewok, I hate hearing that service varies so much from dealership to dealership.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:19 AM
1st Gear
Default I'm having this same issue with my 2012 A3 TDI

The problem is now severe as my passenger headlights are now out, and my signal lights are not coming back. This issue began when it got cold outside and it has not improved. I don't live near a dealer anymore so I'm taking it to the local VW dealer hoping they can help.
I checked all the fuses and they're fine. I replaced lights that are out, and that did not help.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:13 PM
1st Gear

Hi Silentcreator, did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours? I was driving the other day and my passenger headlight, fog light, and turn signal went out and the indicators came on. I will be checking out the fusebox in the morning to see if there is any thing melted there. I bought the car used a few months ago and haven't had any problems .

Old 12-10-2015, 05:16 PM

Hi folks,

I am having the same issues. The passenger headlights went out. The issue was random at the beginning. Currently, all passenger lights do not work.

I thought it was a ground issue because it was random. However, both ground wires are connected each other and they are connected to the battery ground connector. I have also checked power in the connector, it seems ok. 14.4 V, 3.75V and I do not remember the other values.

However, I have tried to check power in the bulbs and, there were not power. I believe something is wrong from the connector to the bulbs.

What did you do to solve this issue? I appreciate any light/help.

Regards,
Victor

Old 12-10-2015, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

Mine ended up being the infamous fuse box issue. One of the fuses had overheated and melted the lead in the box. I couldn't tell initially but when I tried to remove the fuse it broke because it was melted in. I had to change the whole box out and but the new "reinforced" version of the fuse that Audi/VW recommended for the Tiguan.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

You can refer to my other post in a different forum with more details:

VWVortex.com - Passenger lights all out

Quick Reply: fog light indicator on, headlight and tail light out