Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Front seats won't latch down

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:45 AM
Default Front seats won't latch down

I've got a problem with the front seats in my 1998 A3, which I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot.

Normally, when you pull up the seat to get into the back, the seat pops up and then forward. At some point in the last couple months, the latch in the seat that should hold it down has stopped catching. As a result the seat hovers off the floor slightly, as the springs in the seat's mechanism hold it up. It tends to move around when I'm driving and also gives folks quite a surprise when the first try to sit in it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? It's happened to both seats now and neither time was there any sound of something breaking, which leads me to believe it's just a stuck latch. I've looked as close as I could at the seats, but can't find the latch that would hold it in place. I've also looked in the Hanes manual, but there's no info about it. I should also note that I have the sport seats, though I believe the mechanisms that hold the seat in place are the same.

Thanks in advanced. I'd hate to have to pay a garage the labour charges to simply release a stuck latch in the seat.