Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

FSD + What kind of Springs?

Old 07-09-2007, 12:17 AM
1st Gear
Default FSD + What kind of Springs?

I am leaning towards Koni FSD shocks and would like to know what kind of springs to get. I have the base suspension and would like to keep the height the same or about .5 inches lower. I drive in the snow and am pleased with the appearance of the A3 as it is so I do not need/want much lowering. I want a stock or better ride quality/comfort. I want more responsive handling, steering, less squat and dive, less roll, more sporty feel without changing the look too much. I already have a Neuspeed rear sway bar which I will install at the same time as the shocks. So, for the springs, do I install: Neuspeed sport shocks, Eiback, Audi S-Line springs or something else. I do not want more than .5 inch of lowering with the FSD's installed at the end of the day. Thanks very much for your advice.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:25 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: FSD + What kind of Springs?

I think that Audi sport springs are the only ones that will lower just as you wish, about 1/2". Find somebody's that's gone to coilovers and buy theirs. All the aftermarket springs I've seen lower 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" over base. For reference, sport springs with stock 17" wheels have a fender height of 26 1/4" rear, 26 1/2" front.
I have FSD's with sport springs, BTW; a great combo.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

Great! You like the FSD's? Does the shock spring combo give the advantages I am looking for?

Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

Yes, You'll like it.I also have the Neuspeed RSB. Set it on soft, stick with your 17's. FSD's will give you a substantial improvement in the areas you mention, without sacrificing ride comfort.If you want to really getit right, get another set of 17's and do the winter/summer tire thing. An A3 is very good in the snow on dedicated winters, no quattro necessary.(though it's sure nice).

Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Agreed with the Summer & Winter tires. Otherwise you have somewhat crappy performance in both dry and snow conditions. Better to have two sets of tires and great performance in every condition. IMO.

Cheers!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:43 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Re: lowering, do you already have OEM Sports or S-Line springs?

Lots of time to research springs. I'm also in the market for Koni FSD dampers, whichare sold out until early/mid August 2007.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

I've got the OEM base suspension springs. How would I go about finding a set of slightly used OEM S-line sport springs.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

I will be getting a FSD / Neuspeed sport spring combo shortly (week or two), and would be happy to sell you my sport springs. They have about 30K on them though, might be more than you're looking for.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:32 AM

Audinam has a set of Sport springs that he has ready to sell too.

Cheers!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 PM
1st Gear

What to you guys think about the FSD/Neuspeed sport spring combo or FSD/Eiback combo? How much would each setup lower the car? Which would have a smoother ride? Advantages, disadvantages of each compared to each other as well as the S-Line springs?

-Thanks for the snow/summer tire advice. In response, I checked out my old set of BBS RX 16" wheels (from a Passat 3 years ago) in the garage to find out if they're compatible with the A3. They are and I am now thinking of using them for a snow tire setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FSD + What kind of Springs?