Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

FSD'sw/euro s/Neuspeed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:54 PM
1st Gear
Default FSD'sw/euro s/Neuspeed?

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I have done a search and I did not get a satisfactory answer. I have a new 07 2.0T with MT. The only think I don't like is the suspension. It is a little too soft for me. After reading the forums quite a bit, I have decided on going with thr Koni FSD's. I also would like to lower the car just a bit. I have read some good things about the euro s-lines, but I have a feeling they are difficult too find(?).Anyone know where to purchase these? I have also read some good and bad about the Neuspeed Springs with FSD's.I think from my research my initial slant for a set up would be Koni FSD's, euro s-line springs and a rear sway bar.Any insights would be appreciated.

I also have thought about coilovers but I feel the drop may be too low. Also I do not know of a shop here in southern Louisiana that I would trust with them.

Thanks guys, I am just trying to do this right.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: FSD'sw/euro s/Neuspeed?

Here's a thread from the Fourtitude A3 forum regarding Euro S-LIne springs:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3803639

That thread mentions that they cost about $375.

Maybe you've already seen these threads elsewhere about different springs with FSDs:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/101666.phtml
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2684495
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3715731
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3435043
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3363764
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3208612

I'm really enjoying the improvements from FSDs with OEM (US) Sport (=S-Line) springs. And the latest change to lighter wheels (20.5 lbs versus 27 lbs for the OEM 16-spokes) made a noticeable improvement in ride,too.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Thanks dfrost,

I wasn't aware of several of these. I guess I just need to decide if the additional cost of the euro springs are worth it over the neuspeed's.

BTW, what wheel and size/offset did you go with?

Any other comments welcome.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Ask me in a week- I'll have the Euro springs on.

I'm currently using S- line springs, FSD's, and a Neuspeed rear bar, along with Bridgestone RE050A's and 17 lb, 17" wheels. This is a very good, trouble freesetup for agressive street driving in a daily use car, and I'm hoping the Euro S line springs will give a bit better stance without a sacrifice in ride quality.
Bear in mind that you can buy Koni or other coilovers for what you'll spend on the Euro springs and FSD's ( $900 or so). The coilovers are gonna be better for autocross, track, or lowering the car to that perfect slam.
If you already have S line, then the FSD's plus a rear bar are a really good, cheap upgrade - enough to keep me smiling, and I'm used to track and autocross setup Porsches.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

astrox,

Those wheels are 17x8 with a 45mm offset - no rubbing problems with 225/45 Toyo T1Rs. Already had the tires, and didn't want to harshen the ride with anything bigger then 17's anyway. As you're probably aware, the unsprung weight of the wheels + tires typically increases with larger diameter wheels, unless you're using much more expensive forged wheels.

I would have liked TR Motorsports wheels like hesaputz', but couldn't get used to the matt grey color on my garnet red A3.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys.

I will check back with you in a couple of weeks hesaputz. I don't have the s-line, I have the premium. I wasn't so much concerned with cost but rather I was worried that with the coilovers the minimum drop would be more than what I was willing to go. I was hoping to drop the car about a 1" to a 11/2". Please correct me if I can get this kind of drop with coilovers.

I am well aware of the unsprung weight issue, but thanks for bringing it up. I autocross as well but my Mini Cooper Sserves me well for that purpose, this is mostly for spirited/agressive street driving.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

I've seen posts on other forums from guys with coilovers, who say that they're running at 25.5" all around(ground to fender lip)- but I don't know what wheel size and tire height they're using. Standard S Line is about 26" rear/ 26.5" front with the stock 17's and 225/45 - 17 tires. Hope this helps. From what I remember, some coilovers will let you get close, but not quite up to S line height - varies by manufacturer.
Do a search on Fourtitude or Audiworld; you're bound to come up with some good info.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

I will measure my drop with the KW V3s. As you can see on the pic, the back is pretty low, but the front is fairly high, and it is still not at its maximum height. I will measure the drop when I go out today. As for ride quality, with the 17s, it was indistinguishable from stock in terms of comfort, performance was substantially improved. With the 18s on 40 sidewalls, the ride is stiffer, but not harsh, and this is on Taipei streets.

This is with 18 225/40 PS 2s on OEM Audi RS4/Titanium package rims. These rims were actually lighter than the 17" stock "excalibur" rims that came with the car.

Ok, I did a measure. Fronts are 25.5inches and rears at 25 inches. No rubbing EVER. Scraped one (not the front chin, under the car) on a VERY steep parking ramp when it met the level surface at the bottom.

Name:  Image049.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  160.4 KB

Old 04-24-2008, 05:35 AM
1st Gear

Another vote for FSD + Neuspeed springs. You may also enjoy the OEM sport dampers over the FSDs... a tad more feedback over rough road surfaces, but less jarring than the FSD over larger irregularities like potholes, divots, etc. I have alightly used set for sale if interested.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:36 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TPE_A3

I will measure my drop with the KW V3s. As you can see on the pic, the back is pretty low, but the front is fairly high, and it is still not at its maximum height. I will measure the drop when I go out today. As for ride quality, with the 17s, it was indistinguishable from stock in terms of comfort, performance was substantially improved. With the 18s on 40 sidewalls, the ride is stiffer, but not harsh, and this is on Taipei streets.

This is with 18 225/40 PS 2s on OEM Audi RS4/Titanium package rims. These rims were actually lighter than the 17" stock "excalibur" rims that came with the car.

Ok, I did a measure. Fronts are 25.5inches and rears at 25 inches. No rubbing EVER. Scraped one (not the front chin, under the car) on a VERY steep parking ramp when it met the level surface at the bottom.
Hi TPE,

Does your rear go down much when you have 2 adult passengers in the back and/or heavy luggages in the trunk?

Quick Reply: FSD'sw/euro s/Neuspeed?