Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Interesting puzzle/query

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Interesting puzzle/query

Ok guys - I'm sure you are sick of hearing grover talk about springs, as it's been the major topic of my conversations/posts.

Well today I went into the dealer and tried to do a little investigating before putting anything on my car. Ok - so i've got a 07 MT loaded but NOT an SLine. The curious thing, to my surprise, was that I have a rear sway bar already. I asked the dealer if Sway bars come on non-Sline models - and he said they could just depending on the package. He said there was no difference between the size (diameter) of sway bars until you got the 3.2, and that one is bigger/thicker. The one listed for my VIN number said "sport stabilizer bar". So one would assume the rest of the suspension would be sport right? Maybe not...

So then we examined the springs, which as most of you know are color coded. Mine are 3 white and 2 orange. Which have a load of 7lbs. According to my VIN number we saw that there were about 5-6 different color options ranging from 7lbs up to 11lbs, each with it's own color combo. So this makes me wonder if ALL Sline models have the same set of springs, or if each one, depending on manufacturing date, has whatever the factory produced that year.

I just wanted to throw this up for discussion to see if anyone else heard of this or had some insight.

Cheers.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Interesting puzzle/query

Grover, but the damn coilovers on already! hahaha, JUST KIDDING!

No idea what you are talking about in terms of the colour coded springs, so I can't help with your question.

And I'm just teasing!

Old 04-17-2008, 02:20 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Interesting puzzle/query

Grover: If I understand you correctly, you are trying to ascertain whether ALL US S-Line A3's came with the same springs.

I don't know.

The five or six different options that you refer to probably include both S-Line AND non-S-Line springs. For the European A3's, there are even MORE options, because in Europe, there are 3 and 5 door A3's, quattro v. FWD, many engine choices. From what I understand, there are 32 front spring options for European A3's; that's why it took us (over in VWvortex) forever to figure out which were the Euro S-Line springs to order in the group buy. With that said, my A3 (DSG / no OpenSky) closely matches that of JerseyRat (6MT / no OpenSky), who was the guinea pig, so I am expecting good results.Also, per OEMPL.US (who we initially tried to use to source the European S-Line springs), there issome leeway between the different options.

Did you happen to note the specific five or six different color options? If so, all I need to do is to tell you how my OEM Sport springs are marked when I get my Euro S-Line springs installed, then you can decide whether you still want them or not.

Theoretically, the very best thing to do is to find a S-Line A3 (either US or European, depending on whether you want to buy US or European springs) which match your A3in terms of doors, engine, transmission and optional equipment (the most important of which being OpenSky, as it's the option that makes the greatest weight difference), get the VIN number of the matching A3, and use it to order your suspension components.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Interesting puzzle/query (New Pics posted)

Thanks Yuppie. I currently do have Open sky - so I would think i'm a little heavier than a non open sky A3. Let me know those markings when you remove your springs.

I've yet to show my car - I washed up today and took a few snaps. Here they are - still bone stock.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48670/252516C39FAC41C2B23EED727BA115EF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48670/249666CB42D944C69B9A613EEDE022DB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48670/BAC1C7CFDC9348449CA7D77E54D86627.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/48670/5B766888C92B4E74A30B285A3CE7E8ED.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2008, 09:30 PM
SoCal Crew Member

I have always thought that the front wheel gaps of my A3 look large compared to other Sport / S-Line A3's, who all have OpenSky. So my springs should work for you.

Your OpenSky adds about 200lbs, but that weight is fairly evenly distributed on all four springs.Your 6MTis slightly lighter, butyour Premium front seats would conversely be slightly heavier, so let's call that a wash. Other than that, no other equipment should make a significant difference, weight-wise.

As I said above, I am told there is some leeway between different spring options, which makes sense. Afterall, the difference between 1 driver vs. 4 people, say 500lbs, is more than the weight difference of adding or subtracting any options, and that should not overwhelm the springs!

What we can do to satisfy your curiosity is to meet up with the two cars parked side by side on a level surface. Then you can compare the wheel gaps for yourself, keeping in mind that your OpenSky will lower it a tiny bit further. Where do you work again?

P.S. Dang, your last picture shows a Q7-like wheel gap! You better take my springs!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:54 AM
1st Gear

Haha. Shut up.

I actually work from home - and i'm situated in the valley. (Near the 405 and victory). However - i'm flexible because I do work from home. You work downtown? I could meet you somewhere...

Old 04-18-2008, 10:58 AM
1st Gear

Q7!

get some coilovers and drop that baby!