Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Need some major chip advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Need some major chip advice

Im looking to chip my 07 A3 2.0T DSG and I had a few questions
[ol][*]Which is the best chip?[*]How much will it cost me?[*]I live in socal wheres the best place to get it installed[*]How much could the dealer possibly care since my car is a lease and how much trouble could I get in?[*]And what are the Pros and Cons of a chip[/ol]Thanks!!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:49 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need some major chip advice

Im looking to chip my 07 A3 2.0T DSG and I had a few questions
Which is the best chip?
How much will it cost me?
I live in socal wheres the best place to get it installed
How much could the dealer possibly care since my car is a lease and how much trouble could I get in?
And what are the Pros and Cons of a chip

I don't have all the answers to be sure, but here is my input. I'm not sure at all about questions 1-3!
But for 4...if you read the boards, there are instances of dealers refusing to service chipped cars whilst others report that their dealer turns a 'blind eye' and still other dealers who actively encourage/support customers chipping the cars. So, that is up in the air from my perspective.

I had my TDI chipped on Friday. The pros are unbelievable...more power, smoother driving, torque through the roof, much more confidence passing etc, and...though not proven yet...increased fuel mileage. I would say that is a whole lot of pros. For cons, I've heard it can wear things out like the turbos more quickly...but others say 'pooh-bah' to that. I'm sure members with more experience with their chipped cars will chime in on that. However, the chip i went with, "Superchip" has a long record and good reputation. If chipping cars just totally chewed up the engines then I think we would hear more about it and it would not be as popular as it is. I also had the option of going for 2 levels of power upgrades, and I chose the lower setting to be on the conservative side because of maintenance and mileage considerations.

Overall, it's sublime! My car is a TDI and already had a lot of torque to begin with, but now it's over 450 newtons, it's really a pleasure to drive!!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Oh, fusion, I can't believe youcreated the ultimate dreaded "which is the best chip" post? Since you know about the search functions and the NooB thread, then I'll give you my answers, short and sweet.

1) The one you actually purchase
2) $400-$850 - but you'll know the exact amount after it's installed
3) Their workplace, since most won't do house calls. Just search under the chip tuner's website for local dealers.
4) It rocks! At least until you break a major engine component and the dealer tells you that you'vevoided your warranty with the chip and you'll be responsible for all the repairs on your own.[&:]

Cheers!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
1st Gear

Yes I did take the lazy route :-/ Just didn't find a straightforward "this is probably the best chip for the a3" in any of the threads or atleast i didnt see. Thanks for the input ill probably do some more indepth research and pray my stealership isnt **** about it

which chip do you have chef?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

APR and Revo are the top choices. GIAC is also up there. Revo is tuned slightly more agressive and APR is well rounded.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM

Yeah, I had to give you a hard time. Come on!

I have the REVO and it is a bit aggressive, which I love. However, if I had a DSG, then I'd go with the APR. I hear it is much smoother with that transmission than mine.

Cheers!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

Also in SOCAL depending on were you live Neuspeed is a great choice. They may not have the tunability of APR or REVO but there Customer service and R&D are tops and they have been Tunning Audi's and VW's for over 20yrs. Yes this seams bias and no I don't have there chip. In MT the closest place to chip is Salt Lake. So looks Like the APR will be my choice for my DSG.
As Chef says the best "is the one you purchase." oh and "Cheers"

Old 02-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

+1^ dealer proximity is a good consideration when making the chip decision...

Old 02-26-2008, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

Deffinatly has a point. Hence why I'm not chipped yet! damn beautiful location I live in!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the input again!

I found a Neuspeed dealer really close to my house so I think im gonna go check them out over the weekend and see what they have to offer. Im still a bit sketchy about what my stealership may think but maybe Neuspeed will have some comforting/good advice for me on it.

Quick Reply: Need some major chip advice