Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New Car--Breaking In period?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Default New Car--Breaking In period?

Hi--I just picked up my 2006 Black Audi A3 (2.0 Manual). My other car is a 2003 Honda Pilot EX-NAV so I don't know much about what I think is being referred to as a "break in" period. Since my husband will now get the Pilot--should I be driving the Audi in a particular manner? Any insights would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 12-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Default RE: New Car--Breaking In period?

yes. break in period is when you allow the engine's parts no find their own special places. all you have to do is not to allow hard accelerations, change oil one time in 1000 miles and not to rev the engine very high. imagine as you being a granma, slow and easy no wories. in like 5000-10000miles the engine should break in and then you can race it, like a teenager who got her drivers licence.

Old 12-03-2005, 06:05 AM
1st Gear

You need to drive your A3 in a special manner.
Please take a look at the owner's manual, page 263.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:22 PM
1st Gear

after 650 miles feel the g's
after 1000 miles can race

I asked the sales rep who sold me the car about that and he told that it's already broken in ???[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 12-06-2005, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

This is really an interesting and important matter and I’d like to know as well.

Form my 1st year of (automobile wasn’t my stream but the 1st year is the same for all of us in my country) what I know is ‘breaking in a new engine’ means you are basically attempting to set the piston rings and the valves and that is very very important for a mechanical engine in terms performance for long run. To do this, the most important thing is to be very careful about not to keep the engine at constant revs and preferably not exceeding 2500 to 3000 rpms during the breaking in period. I've also heard that synthetic motor oil should not be used during the break-in period because they work too well in keeping friction down.

Now the thing, which I don’t know is how many miles I/we need to go to do this. But I can guess that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. TDi takes a bit longer to set. Most manufacturers have recommendations in their handbooks.

I googl’ed a little bit and below the extract I got so far:

Basically you start off treating the engine very gently i.e. gentle revs and never more than 1/4 throttle. Over time you gradually use more revs and more throttle until you eventually end up using the full range of the engine. It is important to eventually end up using all the power and rev range to wear harden various parts. It is also important that you do not keep to a single continuous speed or gear but vary your speed quite a bit during this time (a long highway journey is NOT a good break in if you just sit in top gear at a continuous speed). This is because things are still hardening up and you can wear a groove into them.

Modern engines break in relatively quickly, often 1000km, older designs took longer as the tolerances were not as precise. The first oil change is often a lot sooner than later ones as during break in rough edges from manufacturing will be worn off and end up in the oil.

Drive it gently. General rule is not to exceed 3000 - 3500 rpm. for the first 500 miles. It is also a good idea to be kind to it for the first 2000 miles. All engine bearings and cylinders etc. must wear evenly and properly. Also piston rings need to seat. Some piston rings take up to 5000 miles to fully seat or wear evenly to cylinder bore. Not foiling proper break in procedures could result in premature engine/parts failure.

I'm really interested in the comments from some experienced driver and mechanics. I really need to know whether is it 1000 miles or 10000 miles to complete to break-in properly? The car I’ll be having is a 2.0 TDi A3.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:45 PM

Moto Man's Break-in Method

Just food for thought. I broke in my 1.8T GTI using this method (approximately.) It runs great, burns no oil, and make great power for a (more or less) stock motor.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:34 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: MacUsers

I'm really interested in the comments from some experienced driver and mechanics. I really need to know whether is it 1000 miles or 10000 miles to complete to break-in properly? The car I’ll be having is a 2.0 TDi A3.
Very interesting, but I belive break-in period should be over at 1000 miles because 2000 miles is toooo long....
My A3 will pass 1000 miles point very soon!!

Old 12-10-2005, 07:28 AM
1st Gear

The golden rule is to keep the revs in check for the first 1000km and try and vary the speed. Most sales-people will tell you the modern engine needs no run in, but I disagree and rather take it relatively easy until 2000km, then have the time of your life.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:00 PM

OOPs. I took my new A4 up to 120 on the way home. She had bout 12 miles onher.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: AndrewD

OOPs. I took my new A4 up to 120 on the way home. She had bout 12 miles onher.
haha...ya I'm waiting until 1000 miles for the break-in period.

Quick Reply: New Car--Breaking In period?