Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

new to forum, advice needed on an a3 i am looking at buying tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
1st Gear
Default new to forum, advice needed on an a3 i am looking at buying tomorrow

Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying a 1.6 A3 as a run about and wondered if anyone has any experience or knowledge on them that would be useful? Anything to look out for?

I have been to see one so far that i really liked the look of, but few probs with it that I would like to know if they are serious or just my paranoia lol. Firstly, its a 97 1.6 A3, and the clutch bites veeery late, no slip but only bites just before your foot comes offf the pedal, I thought this indicated the clutch is done but could it be bad adjustment? Also I went for a drive with the blowers on, then arrived back to the guys yard, switched them off and kept the engine running while i poked around the engine bay but once i returned to the car and turned the blowers on there was a puff of smoke through the vents, would this be something serious or a simple fix?? The car has been sitting for a while so the misfire I noticed on the drive was due to this and thought the smoke through the vents could be related also??

Do these cars have coilpacks or spark plugs and is the clutch a solid flywheel or dual mass?

Thanks in advance, Im just curious to find out some info on these and also this car I am looking at is a very good straight car but only has these problems I mentioned.