Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

no power when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Default no power when accelerating

Hi there, thanks in advance for any replies.

I've a 00 1.6 a3, 120,000 miles. Recently (like 4 days ago) i noticed that sometimes when i started the car (not every time)revs were jumping up and down round 500. Also when driving i noticed a pretty substantial loss of power when accelerating and that the car was sort of juddering, not bad like with low fuel but still very noticable. To me it kinda felt like the engine was being starved of fuel or something.The car was due a service anyway so i brought it in today, i told the guy bout the symptoms and he said yea, probably sparks or dirty filter and he fully serviced it.

Anyway I drive home, idling the engine seemed to be running smooth, no problems getting home. The next time I start up and drive I feel the same loss of power and shaking when accelerating... That was heading to the gym. On the way home from gym, no problems again. Im a bit worried that the powerloss is still there after the service...

Has anyone experienced this or a similar problem or has anyone any ideas?

Btw i need to get my timing belt replaced within the next 1000 miles, this hardly has anything to do with it does it?
PS The mechanics i brought it to is NOT an audi dealer, its an advance pitstop.

Thanks again!!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Default RE: no power when accelerating

sorry, also i was told i need a new fan belt, could this have anything to do with it?

Old 02-25-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

You need to check your Vaccuum hoses, and your ignition coils may be misfiring on cylinders 2-4 randomly ... if that's the case and you should check your Spark plugs too.....

Old 02-26-2008, 01:45 PM

sparks were only changed the day before yesterday.

could a faulty crank sensor cause the symptoms i've been having?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:35 PM

I also have been experiencing this problem with power loss, no shaking however. It seems to have no random occurance and only happens a few times a month. If you can imagine travelling along at 120kmph and putting your foot down to accelerate but nothing happens. However the car has a tiny amount of power and will very gradually increase its speed. its quite strange and can also be dangerous. The story goes on also.
I bought this A3 from a lady of approx 60 years old and she admittedly didnt use the car very much and it was garaged throughout winter. After she lent the car to a friend they noticed this loss of power problem as she apparently thought this was normal. This car is a 1.9TDi and does have a bit of poke to it. An Audi dealerreplaced the entire engine, the turbo and the timing belt and some astronimical cost to the poor old lady.Before i bought the car i took it to the dealer she had bought it from and she has alsohad it fully serviced by these people according to all guidelines. The initial reason for this was that it had a whistle to it when accelerating, apparently this is quite normal and the level of this whistle varies from car to car. They then told me about the replacement engine, turbo and timing belt. Here is the thing. They have now just completed a full service at a considerable price and have informed me of an oil leak. Having asked them to fix it they tell me it is from the head gasket and will cost 1200 euros. I am amazed that a new Audi engine etc that was installed at 45k KM now requires such a major repair on it at 75k km. They have told me it is due to the old lady not driving it properly? Surely this is absolute nonsense, but i am no mechanic. I have lookedat the oil leak and it appers to be coming from a piece that is bolted on to the right hand side of the rocker cover and has a hose that leads toa black disc shaped component. Strangely enough the air con and tempature gauge has also failed today. The dealer also tells me that the noise coming from the air filter/and manifold tube is also normal this thing sounds like its choking the air supply and sometimes does if i start the car from cold and accelerate quickly. I thing there is something the dealer is not telling me or they have never properly rectified the original faults.
I f any one can give me an experienced and knowledgable point of view i would be very gratefull indeed.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:12 PM

hey, just to follow up on my original problem, it turned out it was a damaged crankshaft sensor that was causing the problem. got a new one in and no problems since ~ 3 weeks ago.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

mark noble,

I suggest you take it to an independent mechanic/alternative audi dealer. Sounds like the one you are going to was willing to take advantage of an old lady, probably would also be wiling to take advantage of you. Sounds like a really odd problem.