Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Odd sound from 2.0 FSI T engine...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 AM
1st Gear
Default Odd sound from 2.0 FSI T engine...

Apologies for gatecrashing another forum, but I've been sent here as A3 / A4 drivers are more likely to pick the 2.0 Turbo petrol engine

I posted this over in the A6 forum:

"I've put a deposit down on a used car. It's a 2005 A6 2.0i FSI T with 78,000 on the clock. It's in really great condition with a full Audi service history, and my wife and I really love it... and it's at a bargain price. (Well, I couldn't find any better deals on the web anywhere.)

But the problem is that when the engine starts and runs, there's a squealing / squeaking sound (when the car is stationary) that's quite audible when standing at the front of the car. Unfortunately I'm no car mechanic, but it sounds similar to a slipping fan belt, but... more steady and less high pitched.

The sound appears to be coming from the front of the engine.

I don't think the sound changes noticeably when revving the engine, but I couldn't hear it when standing at the driver's door prodding the throttle. (And I stupidly didn't get the salesman to do it for me)

I asked the dealers* selling it to me to fix it, or I wouldn't take the car. Well, they didn't fix it, so I didn't take it. I'm going back on Saturday to see if they've addressed it - but I'd like to go 'armed' with a list of things it could be, and how much they might cost if I were to have to fix it myself. "

Here's the thread

So far the likely candidates suggested are:

1) Power steering pump
2) Serpentine belt slipping
3) Water pump failing
4) Fan motor on the coolant system

Now I've just spoken to the sales manager. He says it's fixed and it was 'just a loose fan belt'. Is that legit? Or is he selling me a dummy?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:25 AM

From you post, it does not appear this noise happens when you drive the car. So the Serpentine belt slipping is a likely candidate.

Is the dealer willing to give you a limited warranty to cover your concerns (1000 km)?

Are they trying to sell you a dummy (lemon U.S.)? You say your getting a great deal, if any of the other three items fail and you have them repaired, are still getting a great deal when the costs are added to the purchase price?

Check the car out again Saturday, let us know how it turned out.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

Thanks,

I've got a 3 month warranty from the dealer, and I've paid for an extra 2 year warranty backed by one of our major roadside rescue services (the RAC)... so I ought to be ok.

However I have investigated the dealers on the web a bit more, and generally people don't seem to find them very responsive if anything goes wrong Luckily my wife is quite good at nagging, so she'll be able to get the right end result

The deal is pretty good - £7000 purchase price (the original sticker price was £8100 before they put it in their Sale) is about £1000 less than any other similar age / mileage car I've found (and even that was a private sale). So yes, I think it's probably worth a small amount of risk to go through with the deal.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

yeah, its a belt. just tighten or spray it with some belt conditioner.

good luck... ALOT of stuff breaks on our cars...