Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Racks

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Racks

Does anyone use racks on their A3? If so, which kind? I'd love to have the audi system but I can't justify spending that much more when I can get a great Thule of Yakima for a considerable less amount of money. Also, are there any A3's that come with side roof rails, or can you get them installed (meaning drilled or permanently attached somehow?) The audi catalogue shows a rack system with permanent side rails. I would love to hear some feedback from anyone! Thanks!

Name:  1T0071129.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  10.2 KB

Old 10-05-2007, 12:18 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Racks

Roof Rails can be installed at the factory when ordering your car. $500-ish extra and you need to bring the option code to your dealer because he probably won't know about it. Mind didn't.
It has also been done afterwards by at least one person. Do a search here or on fourtitude.

Either way, if you don't want to spend the money for the Audi rack that DOESN'T use roof rails, then you will not want to pay for roof rails and a thule rack. In total with rails installed at the factory it's costing me around $800. That's the rails and thule rack. Oh and I haven't bought the bike carriers yet.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

It's funny cuz my dealer in santa monica had no idea about the mountable side rails. My issue is spending money for racks that latch to inside the door frame. Now that I know it is possible to have the rails installed, I am willing to pay the $500 or so plus the Thule system. I think thats a better/easier way to go considering I will not be driving with my racks all the time. Only when surfing or snowboarding. Plus I think I would like the look of black side rails on my red ext!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

I got a Yakima roof rack for my A3 and its great. I have the Copperhead bike mount to carry my bikes and I take the whole rack off when I'm not using it. Removal and installation takes about 15 minutes once you get used to it. I take it off when not in use because of the reduction in gas mileage and wind noise (even with the fairing). The whole system cost about $400 which is a lot cheaper than the kit you'd get from the dealership.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I'm looking at the Thule system for a total of about 350 (w/surf rack). But I like the sound of having permanent black rails installed on my roof. Has anyone here actually had them installed after purchase?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: brodieone
I am willing to pay the $500 or so plus the Thule system.
It will cost a lot more than that if they were not installed at the factory.
And i think you'll have to find an independant installer. I don't think Audi will warranty the work (therefore they won't do the work) because you have to drill into the roof which introduces chance of leaks/rust.

But like I said, do a search here or on fourtitude for "roof rails".

Old 10-05-2007, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

I did find an audi dealer that will do the install. Cost of the racks and install is roughly 500. But I was concerned about the possibility of leaks. Ill do the search. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Wow, that is cheap if that includes labor!

Here's the thread i was thinking of....
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3297956

Old 10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

that is SUPER helpful. Thanks!!!

Old 10-05-2007, 05:53 PM
1st Gear

I have a thule (400 XT) with sidearm bike rack...no problems. It was on the car for about a month and a half this summer. Was a little worried about the fit kit that they provide (2168 X i think) because the flashing has to wrap around the clamp on the support feet. No scratches and a day after i removed the rack the flashing was back to normal.

I think it was around 450-500 for everything including locks and thebike rack. would definately recommend it. Noisy as sh|t without the fairing.

Its funny...the dealer actually pushed me away from the audi rack.

Quick Reply: Racks