Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Rear Door Pannel Removal 2007 Audi A3

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Default Rear Door Pannel Removal 2007 Audi A3

I need some help on where to find the proceedure to remove the rear door pannel, specifically the passanger rear door and repair the window. I heard something rattle when I shut the door and now the window wont roll up.

I can hear the motor working but it sounds like grinding and snapping.

Thanks.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Default Update

Just incase this happens to any other A3 owner out there. Well the popping and grinding was the mechinism that pulls the window up and down. The plastic piece that connects the cables to the winow is pretty cheap and the cable that pulls it up broke out of the assembly.

Heres how to remove the pannel. Fortunatly I didnt destroy anything.

1. Remove the cover over the tweeter speaker to access a #25 torx bolt.
2. Remove the cover over the window rocker switch. Be careful, you can pry it up with a small flat head screw drive and not cause too much damage. There is another #25 torx under this too.
3. Starting from the bottom of the door pannel, gently pull until you hear the snaps come free, work your way up to the top of the door and then pull straight up. There are a few smaller trip plastic pieces that will come off too without too much prodding. Becareful not to loose any of the small screws when disassembling.
4. Remove the wiring harness from the window motor, rocker swith and speaker. Again, be careful not to damage any of these components as they look pretty delicate.

You can access the window mechinism through another pannel that looks like it is glued into place. You can remove this by sliding a flat head screw drive under it where the tabs hold it into place.

Tomorrow I am installing the $159.00 (dealership item) widow regulator piece. Will update then.

The dealership said that this part, specifically the passanger rear window regulator fails all the time. Im surprised there isnt any more threads on this topic.

So with some $$ and time, you can fix this problem your self. Im guessing at an Audi dealership this would be more than $500 to get repaired.