Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

rear suspension "shield"

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Default rear suspension "shield"

hi all,

just wanted to ask you all with an a3 if ur rear suspension has2 plastic shields one on either side that can move around and cause slight rattling that seems to come from the trunk / hatch area when going over some minor bumps. I have secured all parts in my trunk and i realize that when i pull the spare tire cover off the rattle is louder. when i opened the window i could hear it rattle over bumps. Anyone else have the same shield? if not im gonna ask a tech to remove them and hopefully i'll be rattle free! finalllyyyyy

Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: rear suspension "shield"

Yes, 2.0 '08, and one of them started making a lot of noise so they replaced it under warranty no hassle...they called it a "stone guard".

Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 PM

hey bbbobbb
thanks for getting back to me! so are those stone guards secured now? do they still move around? are they really necessary because i think even if they tighten them it'll probably loosen up again and start rattling.

thanks again

Old 05-20-2008, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

I was just posting about this on VWvortex!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3841225

There are a few ppl with this issue including me! At least I know what to tell my service manager when I take my car in for service because this rattle is driving me insane. I can't wait to tighten up this "Stone guard" and be rattle free. This sound makes my car sound like a old beat up taxi cab... #(I%)#(%@#

Old 05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

Hi Chusaiyan,
I have not seen the stone guards but the service writer replaced the shattered one himself in just a couple of minutes. I get the feeling that they snap in so I am not sure about tightening them. It was a very annoying sound and I too went through all the likely suspects, not totally latched rear seats, those ball things that keep the rear deck in place, loose spare tire parts etc. It has been a couple of months and I have not heard the rattle since...
BB

Old 04-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Default A3 Stoneguard Replacement

Folks, last week, i was driving down my driveway and "bash!" screech... I backed up and it sounded like I was dragging metal on the ground.

I looked under my rear axle, and lo, some weird plate was hanging down on EACH side. Weird. I had it towed on a flat bed to the dealer, and they replaced the 2 rear stone guards. The new ones, however, are PLASTIC ... the old ones appear to have been metal. Is this a standard retrofitting going on you suppose?

John.