Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Roof Rails / Carrier Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 02:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Roof Rails / Carrier Bars

http://www.directaudiparts.com/store...260&page=1

Do you have to have roof rails in order to use these base carrier bars? I cannot tell from this picture.[sm=smiley25.gif]

Thanks in advance

Old 08-01-2007, 02:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Roof Rails / Carrier Bars

Looks like this is the standard setup WITHOUT roof rails. Should fit into the little slots underneath your door frame up by the roof.

And if this company is in the USA then there is no way they have anything to do with roof rails or even know what they are. I've had that frustration w/ roof rails and actually had to order my cross bars from Ireland.

But they are very cool!And easy touse, and don't scratch my paint.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the quick reply. I just couldn't tell, because the other attachments all have pictures showing the cross bars attached to what looks like roof rails???

http://www.directaudiparts.com/store...260&page=1

Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jefferson

And if this company is in the USA then there is no way they have anything to do with roof rails or even know what they are. I've had that frustration w/ roof rails and actually had to order my cross bars from Ireland.

But they are very cool! And easy to use, and don't scratch my paint.
My dealer can get them. I just got quotes.

Cross Bars - part#8P9-071-126 list $329.81
Bike Carriers - part # 8E0-071-128-A LIST $217.53 (not sure if this is one or two carriers)

Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

Yes, there is much confusion in this area. I certainly understand where you are coming from. That picture of the snowboard attachment is ridiculously misleading. They are selling the attachment, stating that it needs the "Base Carrier Bars" (which is what you are correctly ordering for your A3 on the other link) and then they show you a photo ofa Q7 with roof rails? Nuts!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:33 PM
1st Gear

D2,

I feel you are mistaken if you think you are getting roof rails, or something attached to them. I believe the part you are referring too are the standard cross bars that will fit on any A3. Here is another link from a Craigslist deal with better pictures;

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...381924275.html

-jw

Old 08-01-2007, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

D2,

I feel you are mistaken if you think you are getting roof rails, or something attached to them. I believe the part you are referring too are the standard cross bars that will fit on any A3. Here is another link from a Craigslist deal with better pictures;

-jw
I ordered roof rails on my 08.
My dealer then opened up the accessory catalog and showed me the pics of the cross rails and bike carriers.
Two days later he sent me the information above with discount prices.
I've had the other usa rack you are referring to on past Audi's.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

D2,

-jw
That picture is so much clearer. Thanks.Now at least I know what I am looking at.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

Nice choice on getting roof rails! I think they will catch on more in the US. I just ordered mine (again) and will be making a post shortly of my order.

I believe it is your dealer then that may be mistaken. Unfortunately you may have a few headaches ahead in getting cross bars to fit your rails, and perhaps a few dealers to 'educate'. I hope I'm wrong, but be extra cautious about what they tell you and what you are expecting.

I ended up going with roof rails by Atera. Very nice look and fit. So easy to mount and remove from the rails. Got them from Mick's Garage in Ireland.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

I believe it is your dealer then that may be mistaken. Unfortunately you may have a few headaches ahead in getting cross bars to fit your rails, and perhaps a few dealers to 'educate'. I hope I'm wrong, but be extra cautious about what they tell you and what you are expecting.
Audi cross bars don't fit Audi rails?
I'm not talking about the USA setup. The catalog shows the euro roof rails with the appropriate cross bars.
Now that I checked those might not be the right part numbers for the crossbars but I saw the catalog.
Might get those or might get some from thule that are higher and allow open sky to function when installed. Not sure yet.