Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

S Line too...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 PM
1st Gear
Default S Line too...

hello,

I am just about to order a new 2008 A3 but am having problems deciding between S Line or Premium (same price here).

I thinking I could probable live with the stiffer suspension but not sure if I might find the sports seats too snug? I am a 5'11 265lbs guy. What do you think? Would they get fatiguing over long trips?

Also, is there lombard support in the sports seats?

thanks for your help and suggestions

Old 01-20-2008, 01:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: S Line too...

Same price? Hmmm, IIRC, when I configure a Premium model vs. S-Line model like-for-like, the price is always almost exactly $1,000 more for the S-Line version, and well worth the extra grand IMHO. As for the lumbar support, yes, as of 2008, the S-Line package comes with the same power seat controls as the Premium model, 4-way lumbar included.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

yes the S-line seats have 4 way lumbar. The seats are super comfortable.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

I guess you must be talking about U.S. pricing right? Cause at the Canadian dealership I visited last friday the S Line and the Premium options were both 1900.00 extra over the base model. And the 2008 brochure shows lumbar support only available on the Premium.

Why do you say the S Line is really worth 1000.00 more for you??

And I figure the seats are comfortable but any of you out there are larger men and have the sport seats?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:33 PM

There is no way the S-line is the same price as premium package, might want to double check that. I just bought 08 A3 with S-line and it was more $ than just the base premium.
The higher quality seats that come with the S-line package are alone worth the extra money. I dont want to offend any Premium owners here, but the non-S-line seats feel very lame
and much more of a VW quality than a higher end auto. I think the S-line package "makes" the A3! (just my opinion..) Good luck with purchase!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

not to mention how much better & sportier the outside looks.

S-Line is definitely worth it.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

I can see the difference in the front but not the back... Anything different also on the sides (except for . Line badge)?

Again, are the seats too snug for a big guy???

Old 01-21-2008, 12:26 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: seventn

I guess you must be talking about U.S. pricing right? Cause at the Canadian dealership I visited last friday the S Line and the Premium options were both 1900.00 extra over the base model. And the 2008 brochure shows lumbar support only available on the Premium.

Why do you say the S Line is really worth 1000.00 more for you??
Why?

Well, I'm looking at an A3 2.0T Premium for my wife and a virtually identical A3 S-Line for me. Here in the U.S. the prices work out as follows:

A3 2.0T 6-Speed w/Premium:
Base price: --- $25,930
Premium Pak: --$1,500
Silver Ice: ------- $450
Bi-Xenon: ------- $800
Cold Weather: --- $700
Convenience: ---- $350
Open Sky: ----- $1,100
Blue Tooth: ------ $435
iPod Interface: --- $250
=====================
Total: -------- $31,515

A3 2.0T 6-Speed w/S-Line:
Base price: --- $25,930
S-LinePak: ----$2,500
Silver Ice: ------- $450
Bi-Xenon: ------- $800
Cold Weather: --- $700
Convenience: ---- $350
Open Sky: ----- $1,100
Blue Tooth: ------ $435
iPod Interface: --- $250
=====================
Total: -------- $32,515

FWIW, Wifey might opt for the DSG instead, and I am inclined to opt for the Titanium package, both of which are about fifteen-hundred dollar options, which means that her car will still be about a grand cheaper. ;-)

Regarding what the S-Line package includes (at least here in the States) that is over and above what comes with the Premium package:
- Sport suspension
- 17" five-arm quattro® GmbH cast alloy wheels and all-season tires
- Front grille and rear side molding with S line badge
- Aluminum interior door sills with S line logo
- S line front and rear bumpers
- Roof spoiler
- Air vents
- Inlays in alloy
- Brushed aluminum trim
- Front Sport Seats (i.e. larger bolsters)
- Storage Package
- Lighted open door

Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 AM
1st Gear

You guys are lucky cause I'm looking at an A3+S. Line package and nothing else and that will cost me close to 36000 including transport and preperation (which is 1500.00 here)

Old 01-22-2008, 08:16 AM
1st Gear

went to the dealership yesterday and tried both the S Line first and then the Premium. To me they don't even feel like the same car. S Line suspension was too firm for me. Let's face it, if I wanted to be jerked around and feel every bumb in the road (and the roads are really bad here) I would get a Mazda3 Mazda speed and save myself quite a few thousand dollars. Sport seats are ok but again, to snug for a 250lbs guy. Came back from a 20mins drive with soar thighs.

On the flip-side, tried the Premium and everything felt right. Felt like I have owned this car for years. Felt like an small german luxury car should feel like; firm but comfortable. Felt even much better than my mom's 2008 fully loaded Passat (which is the same price here...). I'm sold.

Now for the new dabate; DSG or not??!? I should not have tried it... I like it. I think it is the best of both worlds. Its auto when you are in traffic, on the phone etc... but manual when you want to have a little bit of fun

what do you guys think of the DSG??

Quick Reply: S Line too...